Yahoo DFS Basketball: Monday Picks

Yahoo DFS Basketball: Monday Picks

This article is part of our Yahoo DFS Basketball series.

Monday's seven-game slate centers around the Pistons-Cavaliers matchup as the game with the most real-world ramifications, but our DFS options will likely gravitate to a couple of other games.

At first glance, your eyes should immediately gravitate to the late-night game as the Blazers head to the Staples Center to face the Lakers, who've won five straight games and will look to make it six in what projects to be the fastest-paced game on the slate. Obviously, there's a lot to like here and since I'm limited in highlighting only two players per position I will briefly run down the pluses and minuses of this matchup. While I wouldn't call it a minus, the biggest decision is a choice between Damian Lillard ($43) or C.J. McCollum ($26) as it's rare to see both of them give you the kind of output you need. McCollum comes at a cheaper price but also carries the most risk, as his fantasy value lives and dies by his shooting acumen on any given night. As a result, I think Lillard is the way to go in cash games, but I'd spread McCollum around in a few tournament lineups. On the Lakers end, a lot depends on the status of Brandon Ingram (hip), but Lonzo Ball ($26) and Julius Randle ($31) won't be affected by this late call. While guys like Kentavious Caldwell-Pope ($23) and Kyle Kuzma ($19) will be great plays if Ingram sits, you'll need to monitor late developments to take full advantage of anyone else with absolute confidence.

Conversely, a game I would normally avoid due to the slow pace has a couple of spots that you can't overlook due to injury replacements that will offer huge value. Both Memphis and San Antonio are banged up Monday, with the most glaring example occurring in the Grizzlies backcourt. With Tyreke Evans (rib), Andrew Harrison (wrist) and Mario Chalmers (hamstring) all out, it will be up to Wayne Selden ($10) and Kobi Simmons ($10) to make an impact. If you look at the usage adjustment without those three players, Wayne Selden sees a 15 percent bump in usage and about 17 YFP more than his average, which is unmistakably better than Simmons' output. It's also interesting to note that Dillon Brooks ($10) and Chandler Parsons ($10) see usage and FP bumps in this scenario. With Jarrell Martin (knee) and Marc Gasol (ankle) both game-time calls, JaMychal Green ($20) also looks very compelling. Apart from that mess I see Ben McLemore ($13) getting a lot of playing time, and he's put up two straight games of 33 YFP or more in the midst of these injuries. As you can see, there's lots of value to be had here!

As far as elite players, both LeBron James ($53) and Giannis Antetokounmpo ($49) have favorable defensive matchups, but Giannis is on the tail end of a back-to-back so I like James a little bit better against the Pistons. Neither can be faded and could be valuable cash anchors.

GUARD

Kyrie Irving, BOS at CHI ($33): There are a lot of mid-level plays at this position, but in terms of cash game dependability I will gladly take Irving here. While the Bulls have some offensive firepower, they aren't all that great defensively, and Irving put up a 44 YFP game against them earlier in the season. That number establishes a decent ceiling for Irving on Monday.

Ricky Rubio, UTA vs. ORL ($22): I've finally come around to giving Rubio some attention, as he's proven that his more volatile stint earlier in the season is largely behind him. Orlando is giving up an average of six assists per game to opposing point guards, which is among the worst averages in this category. That's obviously good news for Rubio, as is the sub-par play of D.J. Augustin and Shelvin Mack on the other end.

Other guards to consider: Victor Oladipo, IND vs. MIL ($44); Elfrid Payton, PHO at MIA ($28); Goran Dragic, MIA vs. PHO ($26); Reggie Bullock, DET at CLE ($11)

[Join the free NBA Yahoo Cup. $25K in total prizes with weekly winners]

GUARD TO AVOID

Kris Dunn, CHI vs. BOS ($23): Dunn fell woefully short of projections in both games against Boston this season, and I doubt the addition of Zach LaVine will do much to help him Monday. He had a 40 YFP total in his last game so he may have slightly higher ownership. I'd fade him and beat the field.

FORWARD

Blake Griffin, DET at CLE ($30): Griffin relishes the spotlight in games like this, and despite some mediocre showings in the past couple of weeks he's had great success against the Cavs in the past, as he put up 53 YFP against them in a Clipper uniform earlier this season. His supporting cast is at about the same caliber, and I think he'll serve a similar role in this game.

James Johnson, MIA vs. PHO ($15): Johnson should excel due to Miami's current injury woes in the frontcourt and will have the luxury of facing one of the league's worst defenses. He doesn't need to do much to beat value here, and I'd consider 35 YFP as a reasonable expectation. He's already hit that number once against the Suns this season.

Other forwards to consider: Lauri Markkanen, CHI vs. BOS ($21); Rudy Gay, SA vs. MEM ($13); Jabari Parker, MIL at IND ($13); Evan Turner, POR at LAL ($10)

FORWARD TO AVOID

Davis Bertans, SA vs. MEM ($10): With the return of Rudy Gay, Bertans' value as a buy-low candidate is coming to a close, and even despite the frontcourt injuries the Spurs are facing, the low pace of this game makes Bertans an unattractive play when you consider other options at this position. Beating value at $10 is easy, but this is one of those situations where the actual benefit doesn't move the needle much.

[Join a Yahoo Daily Fantasy Basketball contest or league today]

CENTER

Andre Drummond, DET at CLE ($44): It looks like Tristan Thompson is out for Monday's game, but I think that's actually a minus for Drummond as I'm sure he'd rather face Thompson than Larry Nance, who is likely to start in his place. Either way, Drummond is an almost matchup-proof force to be reckoned with, as his rebounds will almost always offset his less-than-stellar scoring totals.

Hassan Whiteside, MIA vs. PHO ($22): Miami is a bit banged up so more of the offense should flow through a healthy Whiteside, who should have no trouble against Tyson Chandler and the Suns' frontcourt. He put up 45 YFP against them earlier in the season, so that ceiling gives him great value at this price point.

Other centers to consider: Rudy Gobert, UTA vs. ORL ($32); Myles Turner, IND vs. MIL ($23); Aron Baynes, BOS at CHI ($10)

CENTER TO AVOID

John Henson, MIL at IND ($14): I don't see a rosy outlook for Henson on Monday, as he's been dealing with some injury issues and is on the tail end of a back-to-back. He'll also square off against Myles Turner, who has turned it up since returning from injury.

The author(s) of this article may play in daily fantasy contests including – but not limited to – games that they have provided recommendations or advice on in this article. In the course of playing in these games using their personal accounts, it's possible that they will use players in their lineups or other strategies that differ from the recommendations they have provided above. The recommendations in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of RotoWire.
RotoWire Community
Join Our Subscriber-Only NBA Chat
Chat with our writers and other RotoWire NBA fans for all the pre-game info and in-game banter.
Join The Discussion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jeff Edgerton
Jeff has provided sports content for numerous sports outlets and has played fantasy sports since scores had to be tabulated via newspaper. He started working with RotoWire in 2017. Originally from South Carolina, he's a lifelong Clemson fan now enjoying the sun in Los Angeles.
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Game 2 of Pacers vs. Knicks
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Game 2 of Pacers vs. Knicks
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, May 8
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, May 8
NBA DFS Picks: FanDuel Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, May 8
NBA DFS Picks: FanDuel Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, May 8
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Tuesday, May 7
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Tuesday, May 7
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Tuesday, May 7
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Tuesday, May 7
NBA DFS Picks: FanDuel Lineup Plays and Strategy for Tuesday, May 7
NBA DFS Picks: FanDuel Lineup Plays and Strategy for Tuesday, May 7