DraftKings Fantasy Soccer: Saturday MLS Breakdown

DraftKings Fantasy Soccer: Saturday MLS Breakdown

This article is part of our DraftKings Fantasy Soccer series.

Premier League is over and it's time to face reality: MLS is the main game in fantasy soccer town for much of the summer. For anyone jumping in, this week's primary slate is a great time, as there are few clear cut "must-have" options. It's wide open, whether you're an EPL expert looking to satiate your soccer craving or a MLS junkie that tunes in each week. As an added bonus, the prize pools have been nudged higher and this is a great opportunity to show DraftKings that the interest for even larger tournaments is here. Before we jump into the match breakdowns, please consider reaching out on Twitter if you're new to the league and want some lineup help today.

v.
7:00 p.m. EDT

Both of these sides have been bad this year, but one is playing definitively worse of late and that's D.C. United. They're fresh off a three-game home stand that saw them score zero goals and earn zero points. Now, they must travel to Vancouver and follow it up with a trip to Orlando midweek. For our overseas readers, that is just about the longest possible trip in North American sports. This all spells potential rotation for a floundering United side, since the Orlando match is more important in terms of the Eastern Conference playoff picture. Vancouver have some lineup juggling to do as well, with lockdown midfielder Matias Laba missing due to yellow card accumulation. The three bench players most likely to get the nod seem to be Nicholas Mezquida, Russell Teibert and Alphonso Davies, in that order.

Favorite Plays

Christian Bolanos, VAN v. DCU ($8,100): It's a weird week when Bolanos stands out as a top midfield play, but given the lack of options and the great form, it's happening. With three assists and 18 crosses in his past two matches, Bolanos has stood out as the Whitecaps' chief playmaker. He doesn't hold a monopoly on set pieces, with Cristian Techera siphoning some corners at the least, and Fredy Montero standing over their previous penalty (and missing), but he's providing good service and should get his fair share of dead ball situations. If United trot out a full strength lineup, Bolanos is in the mix as a top midfield play, but if they roll out a suboptimal starting 11 he becomes all the more appealing.

Bill Hamid, DCU at VAN ($3,900): This match is tilted in the Whitecaps' favor, but it's not so lopsided that I won't consider the road keeper. A healthy Hamid is one of the premier shot-stopping talents in North America and the stats show it this year. Despite a relatively poor defense in front of him, Hamid has made at least five saves in all but one game since March ended. For those counting, that's six of seven games, and saves are worth two points a pop on DraftKings. Vancouver forward Fredy Montero is scoreless in four straight matches, and Hamid's price is about as low as a starting keeper gets.

Other Notables

Fredy Montero ($7,000) will be a popular play for the home favorite, but I'm not exuberant about him when compared to other similarly priced options. If Alphonso Davies ($5,000) starts on the attacking wing, note that he's defender eligible. David Ousted ($5,600) and Sheanon Williams ($5,100) are appealing options in the back, but you're paying a high premium for the clean sheet chance.

v.
7:30 p.m.

These teams sit neck and neck in the standings, but they must feel very different about their starts to the season. The Revolution are finding ways to score and have a far steadier defense than they did in 2016. The Red Bulls expected to compete for the Supporters Shield once again, but have been dropping points left and right. At some point we have to recalibrate our expectations for each of these teams, and with approximately a third of the season in the books, now may be the time. I'll give the slight edge to the home team, knowing they're capable of embarrassing New England, but I'm through expecting them to play anyone off the pitch for the time being.

Favorite Plays

Sacha Kljestan, NYR v. NER ($7,900): Despite having six assists, Kljestan has easily been one of fantasy's most disappointing players this year. He was an MVP finalist last year and it's entirely reasonable to expect some better fantasy performances than high single digits to mid-teens. While the points haven't necessarily been there, Kljestan leads the league in key passes and is near the top in expected assists. His goal-scoring touch has yet to come out of hibernation, but I can attest that it is there, somewhere. Having conceded 11 goals in their past six matches, New England may be just what the doctor ordered for Kljestan and company. In what New York may feel is a crucial match to get back on track, I see a lot of upside for Kljestan even though my faith is being tested.

Kemar Lawrence, NYR v. NER ($4,800): Lawrence is the standout fullback under $5,000. He has been notching steady peripheral points in addition to some welcome offensive output. In a game where he should find plenty of space on the New England flank, I don't expect Lawrence to slow down his run of form. In general, this slate appears poised to reward those who spend up on fullback, given the relative lack of star attackers and the healthy number of defensive options. I'm not going to be shy in budgeting for players like Lawrence in the back, and I recommend that you don't either.

Other Notables

Bradley Wright-Phillips ($8,600) is one of the best forward options on the day and pairs very nicely with Kljestan, but there are a handful of cheaper forward options that I project to do nearly as well. Diego Fagundez ($5,700) is great value for his terrific form, and has put at least two shots on goal in five of the last six games. Lee Nguyen ($7,800) feels like nothing more than an ambitious Kljestan pivot, as both play similar roles and are close in price, but Nguyen is on the road.

v.
8:00 p.m.

Sporting are one of the league's best sides, but fixture congestion and the Colorado elevation could leave them with tired legs in this match. Dom Dwyer would stand out as a forward option, but he's questionable with a knee injury. On the other side, the Rapids are bad. Really bad. This isn't a match I'm looking toward for fantasy purposes, but you could argue that nobody else will be either, making some players prime tournament picks.

Favorite Plays

Graham Zusi, SKC at COL ($5,400): Until now, Zusi has been a midfielder or even forward at times on DraftKings. In 2017, though, he's transitioned to the right-back spot in Kansas City and it's finally being reflected in his position eligibility. This is notable because the U.S. National Team pool player is a familiar free-kick taker and a frequent presence when Kansas City are possessing the ball on the wing. One of the Rapids' biggest struggles this year has been activating their wings, and if they fail once again in this match, Zusi should be very aggressive in taking the space provided.

Shkelzen Gashi, COL v. SKC ($8,000): If you go cheap at forward, you'll have room to take expensive chances in the midfield and Gashi is just that. At times, he appears to be Colorado's only hope offensively, and they'll lean on him against one of the league's best defenses. Notably, though, Kansas City haven't been dominant on the road. He's been gaining fitness after some issues to start the year and those who followed his debut MLS season in 2016 know he can earn points in bunches. Combined with the frequent fixtures and altitude factor previously mentioned, this all makes Gashi an intriguing tournament option.

Other Notables

Colorado are tied for the fewest goals in the league with just nine in 11 games, and Tim Melia ($4,700) has made five saves in consecutive matches. Gerso Fernandes ($6,100) also fits the mold of a boom-or-bust tournament play, with lingering memories of his recent hat trick being hard to ignore. The guy is a dynamic threat from the wing, but without Dwyer, can he shake the extra attention?

v.
8:30 p.m.

Several "revenge game" narratives are at the forefront of this Loons versus Lions fixture, primarily Adrian Heath coaching against the club he helmed for several successful USL seasons and an initial two-year MLS stint. Kevin Molino spurned Orlando in the offseason, forcing a trade to reunite with Heath, and either side could glean some motivation from that situation. In terms of recent performances, both Minnesota and Orlando have regressed to the mean after miserable and tremendous starts to the year, respectively. Orland have looked far better when Kaka is not starting, thanks to a midfield that can defend with more vigor, and I'll value Minnesota attackers significantly higher if he's on the field for kickoff.

Favorite Plays

Kevin Molino, MIN v. ORL ($7,600): While I expressed some strong feelings about the Kevin Molino bandwagon barreling out of control on this week's RotoWire MLS podcast, it's undeniable that he's been in great form and enters this match in an extra intriguing spot given his history with the opponent. Orlando's stout defense certainly gives me pause and keeps Molino from being a lock for my roster, but his price is very reasonable and his ceiling is only matched by a handful of other players on the slate. Should Minnesota have success this match, there's a very high chance that it's a product of their star winger.

Cyle Larin, ORL at MIN ($8,200): Larin just played his worst match of the season, but betting on the rumored Premier League target to follow it up with another dud is a fool's errand. With a slate full of goal dependent forwards, Larin doesn't take as much of a knock for his lack of peripheral points as he might on other weekends. His work rate and knack for getting into the perfect positions offensively inspire confidence as a fantasy forward, and while his finishing occasionally disappoints, it's largely a strength rather than a weakness. The only thing holding Larin back from the elite level of MLS fantasy forwards is his inconsistent shot totals. Fortunately for us, Minnesota allow a healthy 13.2 shots per game, good for fifth-most in the league, and also sit last in expected goals against. They've been improving, and Adrian Heath may have some ideas to try and slow down his former star striker, but I'm highly skeptical that Minnesota can keep him off the board this weekend.

Other Notables

Kaka ($8,200) no longer seems to elevate Orlando's team performance, but he's certainly capable of individual attacking output. I can't shake memories of Minnesota's dreadful defense to start the season, and if Kaka starts, his skillset could shred the Loons. Heck, most skillsets can shred United's defense, so also consider the speed of Carlos Rivas ($6,500). Christian Ramirez ($7,400) is having a good season, but costs only slightly less than Kevin Molino and I just can't see myself doubling down on Minnesota against Jason Kreis' defensively disciplined Lions.

v.
8:00 p.m.

The Union's recent run of form can't be overstated with four straight wins, and nearly five straight clean sheets had Colorado's lone shot on target not gone in last match. Real Salt Lake fans can't even dream of that at this point, with five losses in their last six and a minus-12 goal differential during that time. I know you all can do the math, but for emphasis, that's an average of a two-goal deficit per match! I could not care less that this is a road match for the Union, or that Rio Tinto Stadium is considerably above sea level. If Germany played Canada atop their highest peak, would we be nervous about the outcome? No. Did I just compare Philadelphia to the German National Team? Sort of.

Favorite Plays

Andre Blake, PHI at RSL ($4,300): The clean sheet streak has ended, but Blake's fantasy value isn't going anywhere. Salt Lake are a lively enough side that they should find some chances, and Blake is highly capable of saving them all. Oguchi Onyewu and Jack Elliot weren't a pretty pairing on paper, but they've done well to limit quality chances in the box. Salt Lake haven't done well to create quality chances in the box. Unless you're a home keeper diehard, this pick is almost too obvious.

Haris Medunjanin, PHI at RSL ($5,600): Medunjanin is the metronome of the Union midfield, keeping the entire machine running consistently and reliably. He takes most set pieces and provides a very safe floor, albeit slightly less upside than some other Union options. As an added bonus, Kyle Beckerman will miss the match for RSL, leaving them without a key veteran defensive presence. This all makes for an appealing cash game play, and perhaps even a foundational player in all lineups, but it's also worth noting that Philadelphia's midfield is full of bargains who have all been playing some great soccer of late.

Other Notables

Fafa Picault ($4,100) and Ilsinho ($3,200) are in great spots offensively for Philadelphia. They make for great Medunjanin alternatives, and if you roster them both, consider your salary restraints a thing of the past. The lone knock on Ilsinho is that he's a very likely candidate to be subbed off around the 65-minute mark. Also consider C.J. Sapong ($7,200), who may not have the pedigree of a Larin or Wright-Phillips, but is arguably having a better season than both. Yura Movsisyan ($6,500) is not happy after being left out of the lineup for RSL last week, and while I'm a sucker for the motivational angles, I simply can't recommend him at this point. Albert Rusnak ($8,500), on the other hand, is a star in the making and always worth a tournament dart.

v.
10:00 p.m.

The California Clasico is far more often compelling than not, and both of these teams are capable of getting a result. Los Angeles have begun to get back on track after a rough start to the season, and San Jose have fluctuated between impressive matches and their far more familiar dull form. Notably, the Galaxy won't have Baggio Husidic, who continues to be more important to the team than anyone expects. Joao Pedro has a knock, but has had some confident performances lately thanks to Jermaine Jones being somewhat out of the picture. However this midfield might line up, the chances of it being a weakness are far greater than it being a strength for Los Angeles. Whether or not San Jose have the chops to take advantage is an entirely different question, but equally unpredictable.

Favorite Plays

Romain Alessandrini, LAG at SJE ($10,300): With very few exceptions, Alessandrini has rewarded fantasy owners' faith week-in and week-out. His point totals range from serviceable to Giovinco-worthy and the insertion of Gyasi Zardes combined with the improving form of Giovani dos Santos has only helped create time and space for the Frenchman. Of all possible teams to slow Alessandrini down, San Jose is not a poor candidate, but they're also not the most likely and it's tough to envision him laying an egg in his first taste of this rivalry. This week's roster budget is far more manageable than most, so the price is definitely workable for one of the few top-shelf fantasy options on the day.

Jahmir Hyka, SJE v. LAG ($6,000): "Hykachu" had an electrifying goal to steal three points in Dallas last week and continues to be San Jose's most dynamic player. Anyone who can make Matt Hedges look silly deserves fantasy consideration in my mind. Against a questionable midfield and a right fullback spot that was a major liability to start the season, Hyka remains a fantasy bargain despite some noticeable inconsistency in his performance. He's another player who's getting his first introduction to the California Clasico and has shown definitive motivation to propel San Jose to success, so I'll have no trouble trusting him in my fantasy lineup this week.

Other Notables

Chris Wondolowski ($6,700) is made for these games and a goal for him would be one of the least surprising things of the weekend. Unfortunately, Wondo struggles to get points in other ways and it's highly possible that even one goal would result in a disappointing DraftKings point total for the aging striker. Ashley Cole ($3,500) mostly contributes via solid defensive performances these days, but his career has had plenty of good attacking moments and San Jose definitely will give him some opportunities to get up the pitch. David Bingham ($5,400) is my out-of-left field tournament pick in net thanks to an outstanding match last week and LA's potential to pepper the net.

The author(s) of this article may play in daily fantasy contests including – but not limited to – games that they have provided recommendations or advice on in this article. In the course of playing in these games using their personal accounts, it's possible that they will use players in their lineups or other strategies that differ from the recommendations they have provided above. The recommendations in this article do not necessarily reflect the views of RotoWire. JD Bazzo plays in daily fantasy contests using the following accounts: DraftKings: OfficerBo, Yahoo: DeNirosDinero.
RotoWire Community
Join Our Subscriber-Only Soccer Chat
Chat with our writers and other RotoWire Soccer fans for all the pre-game info and in-game banter.
Join The Discussion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
JD Bazzo
JD is a contributing soccer writer at RotoWire and was a finalist for the 2017 FSWA Soccer Writer of the Year award. JD has been writing for RotoWire since 2015. He is a proud Pittsburgh native, purveyor of fantasy sports, and likely the first Penn State Basketball fan you've ever met.
Premier League Podcast: Bets, Picks & Parlays for Gameweek 34
Premier League Podcast: Bets, Picks & Parlays for Gameweek 34
Premier League Best Bets: Picks, Odds & Predictions for Gameweek 34
Premier League Best Bets: Picks, Odds & Predictions for Gameweek 34
Bundesliga Best Bets: Picks, Odds & Predictions for April 19, 20, 21
Bundesliga Best Bets: Picks, Odds & Predictions for April 19, 20, 21
Sorare MLS: Deke's Diamonds GW 469
Sorare MLS: Deke's Diamonds GW 469
Fantrax Premier League Player Rankings: Gameweek 34
Fantrax Premier League Player Rankings: Gameweek 34
DraftKings DFS UCL Strategies Podcast for Wednesday, April 17: Do You Trust Arsenal?
DraftKings DFS UCL Strategies Podcast for Wednesday, April 17: Do You Trust Arsenal?