NHL Draft: 2017 Draft Preview

NHL Draft: 2017 Draft Preview

This article is part of our NHL Draft series.

The Devils and Flyers defied the odds and will now make the first two selections on Friday night in Chicago in a draft that features loads of talent, but few potential superstars. The Vegas Golden Knights, conducting their first ever draft, hold the sixth overall selection. Our annual ranking of the top eligible players follows.

Note: This is not a mock draft, nor does it take team needs into account. Each first round pick will be dissected in our draft review, which will be available after Round 1 is complete.

1. Nico Hischier (C, Halifax-QMJHL): Hischier's stock has risen considerably throughout the season. He put up strong numbers for Halifax (38 goals, 86 points in 57 games), and he was a force for Switzerland at the World Juniors while getting virtually no help from his supporting cast. The Swiss dynamo excels at creating offense for himself. He's an exceptional puck handler (particularly in tight to his skates) and very good at finding open teammates. His defensive awareness is also terrific for such a young player. While Hischier doesn't have high-end speed, his skating isn't a weakness. Currently listed at 6-foot, 180 pounds, Hischier should be able to handle the rigors of professional hockey once he fills out a bit more. He isn't on the same level as guys like Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel or Auston Matthews, but he offers the best combination of present value and future projection, and that's what I would be looking for if I

The Devils and Flyers defied the odds and will now make the first two selections on Friday night in Chicago in a draft that features loads of talent, but few potential superstars. The Vegas Golden Knights, conducting their first ever draft, hold the sixth overall selection. Our annual ranking of the top eligible players follows.

Note: This is not a mock draft, nor does it take team needs into account. Each first round pick will be dissected in our draft review, which will be available after Round 1 is complete.

1. Nico Hischier (C, Halifax-QMJHL): Hischier's stock has risen considerably throughout the season. He put up strong numbers for Halifax (38 goals, 86 points in 57 games), and he was a force for Switzerland at the World Juniors while getting virtually no help from his supporting cast. The Swiss dynamo excels at creating offense for himself. He's an exceptional puck handler (particularly in tight to his skates) and very good at finding open teammates. His defensive awareness is also terrific for such a young player. While Hischier doesn't have high-end speed, his skating isn't a weakness. Currently listed at 6-foot, 180 pounds, Hischier should be able to handle the rigors of professional hockey once he fills out a bit more. He isn't on the same level as guys like Connor McDavid, Jack Eichel or Auston Matthews, but he offers the best combination of present value and future projection, and that's what I would be looking for if I picked first overall.

2. Nolan Patrick (C, Brandon-WHL): I would be far from shocked if Patrick ends up having a better NHL career than Hischier, but I see him as more of a solid, two-way, second-line center. Injuries limited Patrick to just 33 games for Brandon this past season and forced him to miss the World Juniors. He's a big (6-foot-3, 200 pounds), strong kid who is very difficult to knock off the puck, particularly down low. Patrick's skating is just adequate, but it appears to be good enough for a player his size. As a powerful pivot who can impact the game in a multitude of areas, I would term Patrick the safer of the two picks. There is definite value in that for a bad team hoping to ensure that it doesn't screw up such a high selection.

3. Gabe Vilardi (C, Windsor-OHL): Vilardi's ability to find open space in the offensive zone should make him an ideal top-six forward at the NHL level. He reminds me of Sam Reinhart in the sense that while his skating is below average, his hockey sense more than makes up for any issues that Vilardi may have getting around. He has the size (6-foot-2, 195 pounds) to play a physical game if needed, and he uses his teammates well. Vilardi's numbers this season in the OHL (29 goals, 61 points in 49 games), while strong, were not elite. He did, however, play very well in helping lead Windsor to the Memorial Cup, and I expect him to take an even bigger step forward next year. There are seemingly no weaknesses in his offensive game, and it's rare to find that in a kid who won't turn 18 years old until mid-August.

4. Miro Heiskanen (D, HIFK-Finland): With the NHL becoming more and more of a skill- and speed-based league, it is imperative that defensemen get the puck out of their zone quickly and without issue, and that's the strongest aspect of Heiskanen's game. He has more skill and offensive ability than he gets credit for, but I'm not convinced that the Finn is going to be a top-flight point producer when he moves to North America. Nonetheless, his calmness and puck-moving ability are exceptional, especially for a blueliner who isn't all that big at 6-foot, 175 pounds. Heiskanen's long-term ceiling and the fact that he is a virtual lock to become a useful NHL defenseman in some capacity make him my top-ranked rearguard amongst this year's crop.

5. Eeli Tolvanen (LW, Sioux City-USHL): In a draft with few surefire studs, Tolvanen is the one guy I believe could find himself among the NHL's top scorers for a decade or more. A pure sniper, Tolvanen has perhaps the best shot in the draft. He excels at scoring off the rush and is a true game-breaker with remarkable ability to make plays at high speed. Playing in the USHL -- a league where very few players put up big point totals -- this season, Tolvanen scored 30 goals in 52 games. So why isn't the talented Finn in the running for the No. 1 pick? Because his attention to detail in the defensive zone is nonexistent. Tolvanen is off to Boston College next season, but he's going to have to make significant strides in his own end if he expects to get meaningful ice time for the Eagles. I believe in betting on talent, and Tolvanen has that in spades. It's also entirely possible he could make significant defensive improvement with better instruction at the collegiate level.

6. Timothy Liljegren (D, Rogle-Sweden): Every year, there's a player who sees his stock torpedoed, and Liljegren is the unfortunate winner in 2017. Viewed as a potential first overall pick when the season began, Liljegren contracted a case of mono early on and ended up playing just 38 games between his club team in Rogle and his time on the Swedish U-18 team; he was also surprisingly snubbed by the Swedish World Junior team. Liljegren has problems at times playing within a team structure. Like Tolvanen, he's so talented offensively that his defensive game isn't as far along as it should be. Rogle was also a terrible squad this year, so Liljegren wasn't able to display his greatest strengths on a nightly basis. He's the very definition of a high-risk, high-reward prospect. Liljegren should be a top-five pick based upon talent alone, but I could see a scenario where he slips to the middle of Round 1.

7. Elias Pettersson (C, Timra-Sweden): As good of an offensive player as Pettersson is -- and he is terrific -- his long-term outlook is based entirely upon his ability to add muscle to his lean frame. At 6-foot-2, Pettersson has the height and reach to play below the goal line, but I wouldn't be shocked if he played this past season at less than 150 pounds. His numbers for Timra (41 points in 43 games) in Sweden's second division were very strong, but he did very little at the World Juniors, although that tournament is notoriously difficult on younger players. Pettersson plays a perimeter-oriented game, and while I think that will turn some teams away, there are few players in the draft with higher offensive ceilings. I have enough faith in NHL team personnel and nutritionists to believe that Pettersson will eventually be able to add 15-20 pounds of muscle to his frame, which would turn him into a potential first-liner.

8. Casey Mittelstadt (C, Green Bay-USHL): The winner of the 2016-17 Mr. Hockey award as the top high school player in the state of Minnesota, Mittelstadt is going to be a top-10 selection before he plays a game of collegiate hockey. Committed to the University of Minnesota, he excels in transition and will often make in-game adjustments that most players his age could only dream of. His defense remains a work in progress, but the effort is there, and that part of his game will improve with better coaching at higher levels. The biggest concern regarding Mittelstadt is his current lack of upper-body strength. His fitness tests at the NHL combine were especially concerning. The vast majority of kids figure those issues out, but it is something to keep an eye on. On the ice, he reminds me of a bigger, slightly less dynamic version of Arizona prospect Clayton Keller.

9. Nick Suzuki (C, Owen Sound-OHL): There's not a lot of flash to Suzuki's game. He works his tail off, he takes pride in his defensive game, and he can fill a variety of roles for his team. Suzuki had a monster season for Owen Sound with 45 goals and 96 points in 65 games. Don't expect those totals as a professional, but I don't see why he can't score 20-25 goals per season while playing on the second power-play unit and helping out on the penalty kill. He's a true all-around player.

10. Cody Glass (C, Portland-WHL): After scoring just 10 goals and 27 points in 2015-16, Glass upped his totals to 32 goals and 94 points this past season. He put on a little bit of weight in the offseason, although he still needs to bulk up. Glass has good hands and good hockey sense, and he moves pretty well. It's a pretty complete package, although he doesn't have any one elite trait. He needs to work on his consistency on a game-by-game basis, but it's easy to see why Glass is going to be a high pick: He's already a solid player, and he has room for growth.

11. Owen Tippett (RW, Mississauga-OHL): No relation to Coyotes coach Dave Tippett, Owen has a chance to be a top-five pick, but I'm not as high on him as others for a couple of reasons. Tippett scored 44 goals this season for Mississauga. He has a cannon of a shot and is the best pure finisher in the draft. That's the good news. The bad news is that he can't create offense for himself and puts forth questionable effort sometimes. Were I an NHL organization, I'd be more worried about the latter than the former. Tippett's natural goal-scoring ability is going to make him a terrific power-play option at the very least, but he isn't doing much for your team if he isn't putting the puck in the back of the net and will likely need a talented center to maximize his production. I would look elsewhere if I was a team with a top-five pick, but I acknowledge Tippett's high-end potential.

12. Klim Kostin (RW, Dynamo Moscow-KHL): Kostin may very well have cost himself at least 10 spots in the draft by deciding to spend this season in the KHL as opposed to playing for WHL Kootenay. Like many young Russians, he got little playing time in the KHL, so scouts never were able to get a good read on his abilities. His gifts are undeniable, though; Kostin's a big (6-foot-3, 200 pounds), physical kid who can dominate a game down low, skates well and has a big shot. Yet there are undoubtedly teams who won't want to get involved in the mess that selecting Kostin could possibly present. Not only will they have to get a read of Kostin's abilities on the ice, but they also must get a read on his plans regarding coming over to North America.

13. Martin Necas (RW, Brno-Czech): Necas had a pretty good season playing against men in his native Czech Republic, and he had a strong World Juniors as well. He's a world-class skater, which helps make up for a lot of his deficiencies. Those deficiencies are noteworthy: He's lanky and needs to add upper-body strength, and his defensive game needs refining. However, Necas' blazing speed and above-average hands give him a very high ceiling. He's well worth a mid-first-round pick for a team that's willing to wait a few years for the payoff.

14. Erik Brannstrom (D, HV71-Sweden): I'm all-in here. Brannstrom has been flying up the rankings to the point that he has an outside chance of being a top-10 pick, and even that might be shortchanging him. The NHL is placing more value than ever on speed and skill, and Brannstrom excels in both areas. His hockey sense is elite -- you'll rarely see him make a bad pass, and despite the fact that he's small at 5-foot-10, 180 pounds, his defensive positioning and smarts more than make up for his lack of size. He might end up being the best defenseman in the entire draft. Considering where he's likely to be drafted, Brannstrom is one player I would try to trade up to get if I was an NHL general manager.

15. Cale Makar (D, Brooks-AJHL): This is the most polarizing prospect in the entire draft. Playing for the Brooks Bandits in the Canadian junior A league, Makar looked liked Bobby Orr. He had 24 goals and 75 points in 54 games and was the best player on the ice virtually every single night. Makar's detractors will point out that he spent the year playing against terrible competition. He can skate the puck out of trouble, he makes a great first pass, and he plays far bigger than his listed size of 5-foot-10, 175 pounds. I loved what I saw, but I need to see more of it at a higher level. Makar will play at UMass-Amherst next season, so he isn't exactly headed to a collegiate powerhouse. Still, he's gone from a virtual unknown to a likely top-10 pick. Whether he's a steal at that spot remains to be determined.

16. Kailer Yamamoto (RW, Spokane-WHL):Alex DeBrincat fell to the 39th overall pick last year despite being one of the premier offensive talents available because he's so slight that some teams aren't convinced that he'll be able to handle the rigors of professional hockey. Yamamoto may very well find himself in a similar situation this year. Of course, DeBrincat is one of the best junior players of his generation; Yamamoto isn't quite on that level, but he did have 42 goals and 99 points for Spokane this season. He'll go to the tough areas of the ice to score goals, but that understandably isn't a huge part of his game. Yamamoto is shifty, hard to hit, and equally adept at finishing or setting up his teammates. Yet much like DeBrincat, if he isn't playing in an offensive-oriented top-six role, he won't be much use. If an NHL club is convinced that he can perform against bigger, stronger defenders at the professional level, he'll be well worth the selection.

17. Michael Rasmussen (C, Tri-City-WHL): 6-foot-5 centers don't grow on trees, and that alone is going to have Rasmussen in high demand. He was barely a point-per-game producer (55 in 50) for Tri-City, although he did score 32 goals. I see him as a very useful player and perhaps a second-line center if everything breaks right, but not a high-end talent. Still, his size and his ability to wreak havoc down low on the power play give him a lot of potential, and his game doesn't have any noticeable weaknesses. I still think he's going to be more of a role player than a star, but many NHL teams disagree.

18. Juuso Valimaki (D, Tri-City-WHL): My only knock on Valimaki is that he tries to do too much sometimes. He averaged more than a point per game (19 goals, 61 points in 60 games) for Tri-City this season, so he obviously has offensive ability. The 18-year-old blueliner is at his best when he lets the game come to him and doesn't force things. Valimaki will earn some bonus points from teams for his willingness to leave his native Finland to play the last two seasons in the WHL. If he can rein in his game a bit, I think he has a chance to be a top-four defender. He has the size (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) and compete level to be a difference-maker in his own zone.

19. Cal Foote (D, Kelowna-WHL): Foote's offensive production from this past season (57 points in 71 games) is a bit misleading. Despite having a big shot, I don't think he's going to be much of an offensive threat as a pro. As expected, Adam's son is about as honest a player as you'll find. He works his tail off, but he's a lousy skater who gets beat wide far too often for my liking. Other than that, though, he's solid, he plays within his limitations, and he can fill an offensive role in a pinch. I imagine that the team that selects him will get a decade-plus of solid, if unspectacular, NHL service.

20. Kristian Vesalainen (LW, Frolunda-Sweden): Vesalainen split this past season between Sweden and his native Finland, and he didn't play particularly well in either location. He had a quiet WJC, although he was one of the best players in the tournament at the World U-18s. Vesalainen has the size (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) and physical gifts to dominate stretches of play for long periods of time in the offensive zone. He skates well and has a strong wrist shot. The talented winger's poor year is going to cost him at least 10 spots in the draft, but he is a candidate to take a considerable step forward in the 2017-18 season.

21. Lias Andersson (C, HV71-Sweden): His lack of size (5-foot-11, 200 pounds) and the fact that he got few offensive opportunities with his club team in Sweden have scouts wondering how much Andersson will produce at the NHL level. I see him as more of a hard-working, two-way guy who a coach can deploy in any situation. Andersson can create scoring chances and pile up points, but it doesn't come naturally to him. There is a definite lack of upside here, but his effort level leads me to believe he will develop into a useful NHL player.

22. Ivan Lodnia (RW, Erie-OHL): The modest numbers (24 goals, 57 points in 66 games) Lodnia put up for Erie this past season were the result of being on one of the best teams in all the CHL. He is going to get far more ice time in offensive situations next year, and I imagine his production will reflect that. Lodnia doesn't have one elite skill, but his hockey sense is terrific and he's going to put up points because his positioning is always correct. Lodnia is in the same situation that Cliff Pu was in last year. I had Pu rated as a first-round prospect even though he tallied just 12 goals and 31 points for London in his draft year; he upped those totals to 35 goals and 86 points this past season. I see a similar jump coming from Lodnia.

23. Issac Ratcliffe (LW, Guelph-OHL): This here is a long-term project. Ratcliffe is so tall (6-foot-6) and lanky that he often appears uncoordinated. He doesn't currently possess the upper-body strength to properly use his size to his advantage, but he has pretty good hands and a long reach, both of which are keys when you take into account that 75 percent of his offense is going to come from the top of the goal crease. I like him, but expectations need to be kept in check. He had 28 goals and 54 points for Guelph this past season, and I could see something similar next year. Ratcliffe needs a good 20 pounds of muscle on his frame before he can even think about battling defensemen at the professional level.

24. Urho Vaakanainen (D, JYP-Finland): The fact that Vaakanainen provided no offense (two goals, six points in 41 games) for JY points in Finland this past season may result in some NHL team getting him at a discount. He wasn't overwhelmed playing against men all season long, but I wouldn't say he excelled, either. If you squint, I think you can see a second-pairing defenseman here. Vaakanainen has enough size (6-foot-1, 185 pounds) to play physically when needed, and he skates pretty well. There is also considerably more offensive ability in his game than we saw this past year. I could see Vaakanainen eventually producing a respectable 25-30 points per season at the NHL level.

25. Jake Oettinger (G, Boston University-NCAA): It's another down year for goaltenders, but I think Oettinger is the best of the bunch. There were far more good moments than bad in his freshman season at Boston University. His record was an impressive 21-11-3, and his overall numbers (2.11 GAA, .927 save percentage) were strong. I love his size (6-foot-4, 205 pounds) and the fact that he doesn't get down on himself when he gives up a bad goal -- the latter of which is a common problem for young goalies. He won a gold medal with Team USA at the World Juniors, but he served as the team's third goaltender and never made an appearance in the tournament. Still, I think he's a clear-cut first-rounder.

26. Robert Thomas (C, London-OHL): The team that selects Thomas in the middle or end of the first round will not be doing so with point production in mind. Thomas is a true defensive-minded center. I can't even count how many of his 66 points for London this past season were a result of him making a strong defensive play prior to the goal. Thomas is the type of player that every winning team needs, although they rarely get any recognition. He won't turn 18 years old until July 2.

27. Shane Bowers (C, Waterloo-USHL): Bowers has gotten a bit of a bad rap from people who felt that he gave his word that he'd play for QMJHL Cape Breton and ultimately backed out of the agreement. He instead played in the USHL and will head to Boston University next season. Like everyone being picked at this point of the draft, Bowers has his shortcomings. He's an intelligent player, he works hard, and he has at least average puck skills, but it hasn't always resulted in production. That's surprising, given that he has no apparent weaknesses, but teams are going to be questioning his ultimate ceiling. I don't think the Cape Breton fiasco is going to impact his draft position, but it's worth wondering how much offensive production can be expected from Bowers at the professional level.

28. Ostap Safin (RW, Prague-Czech): Safin is a risk that I don't think a team picking in the first round would take, but he's ranked here because of his upside. After all, he's one of the five most talented players in the draft, featuring great size (6-foot-4, 200 pounds) and good hands. The downside is that his effort level is often questionable and he has zero idea how to play within a team structure. Some team is going to take him, probably in Round 2, and hope that its coaching staff can properly motivate him and fix his issues. His physical gifts alone make him a potential steal.

29. Maxime Comtois (LW, Victoriaville-QMJHL): Comtois' offensive production for Victoriaville cratered to the tune of 22 goals and 51 points in 64 games this past season, and he may fall out of the first round entirely as a result. Everything I've seen -- even last year, when Comtois was getting a lot of hype -- leads me to believe that he's a secondary piece on a winning team. Having him fill a top-six role is probably a stretch, yet he does work hard and is responsible defensively. A big body (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) that plays physically and can chip in 15-plus goals a year is valuable.

30. Alex Formenton (LW, London-OHL): Formenton is the best skater in the entire draft. His ability to chase down defenders on the forecheck is frightening. That's the good news; the bad news is that he moves so quickly, he has issues handling the puck and setting up teammates. When you skate as well as Formenton does, it's hard not to develop into a productive player at the NHL level. Look at guys like Michael Grabner and Carl Hagelin. Both of those players struggle to create offense on their own, but they're such good skaters that they still end up with countless scoring chances because of their speed. Grabner had 27 goals for the Rangers this past season, and he would have easily had 35 if he had any hands at all. Formenton is not a top-flight goal scorer, but he's still a quality pickup late in Round 1.

NEXT 10

31. Pierre-Olivier Joseph (D, Charlottetown-QMJHL)
32. Alexei Lipanov (C, Balashikha-Russia)
33. Conor Timmins (D, Sault Ste. Marie-OHL)
34. Henri Jokiharju (D, Portland-WHL)
35. Kole Lind (RW, Kelowna-WHL)
36. Joni Ikonen (C, Frolunda-Sweden)
37. Nicolas Hague (D, Mississauga-OHL)
38. Ryan Poehling (F, St. Cloud State-NCAA)
39. Michael DiPietro (G, Windsor-OHL)
40. Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen (G, HPK Jr.-Finland)

Want to Read More?
Subscribe to RotoWire to see the full article.

We reserve some of our best content for our paid subscribers. Plus, if you choose to subscribe you can discuss this article with the author and the rest of the RotoWire community.

Get Instant Access To This Article Get Access To This Article
RotoWire Community
Join Our Subscriber-Only NHL Chat
Chat with our writers and other RotoWire NHL fans for all the pre-game info and in-game banter.
Join The Discussion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Jon Litterine
Jon Litterine is RotoWire's lead MMA Writer and MMA Editor. He has covered numerous MMA events live. He's also RW's NHL Prospect Analyst. Jon has been writing for RotoWire since 2005. He is a graduate of U Mass-Lowell.
NHL Parlay Picks for Thursday, April 18
NHL Parlay Picks for Thursday, April 18
FanDuel NHL: Thursday Picks
FanDuel NHL: Thursday Picks
NHL Picks Tonight: Best NHL Bets and Player Props for April 18, 2024
NHL Picks Tonight: Best NHL Bets and Player Props for April 18, 2024
DraftKings NHL: Thursday Breakdown
DraftKings NHL: Thursday Breakdown