U.S. Open Preview: Major Challenge for Sergio

U.S. Open Preview: Major Challenge for Sergio

This article is part of our Weekly PGA Preview series.

As I write this, we are just days away from finding out if Phil Mickelson will play in the 2017 U.S. Open. Oh, you don't really care that much? Neither do I, but there'll be no avoiding the circus that is the will he/won't he tee it up saga of Phil Mickelson this week.

This story broke last week, and it looked like it was an open-and-shut deal, but now that weather has come into play, there's a chance he might make it to his tee time. I do realize the irony, that I am writing about something of which I think unworthy of the press as a whole, but it's my duty to report on the absurd. Why absurd? Well, for one, we are talking about a guy who hasn't won since 2013 and even if he were to tee it up, probably wouldn't be much of a factor. Yes, he's one of the biggest draws in the sport still, but Mickelson's absence this week will have nowhere near the effect that Dustin Johnson's absence had at the Masters.

Will it hurt viewership, though? Probably not. After all, Mickelson hasn't been a factor at the U.S. Open since 2013 and interest in the Open hasn't subsided. Mickelson, while popular, doesn't move the needle like Tiger did back in his day (no one does), and all of this attention that he's bringing on himself doesn't do any good. I suppose it's something to talk about until play actually starts Thursday,

As I write this, we are just days away from finding out if Phil Mickelson will play in the 2017 U.S. Open. Oh, you don't really care that much? Neither do I, but there'll be no avoiding the circus that is the will he/won't he tee it up saga of Phil Mickelson this week.

This story broke last week, and it looked like it was an open-and-shut deal, but now that weather has come into play, there's a chance he might make it to his tee time. I do realize the irony, that I am writing about something of which I think unworthy of the press as a whole, but it's my duty to report on the absurd. Why absurd? Well, for one, we are talking about a guy who hasn't won since 2013 and even if he were to tee it up, probably wouldn't be much of a factor. Yes, he's one of the biggest draws in the sport still, but Mickelson's absence this week will have nowhere near the effect that Dustin Johnson's absence had at the Masters.

Will it hurt viewership, though? Probably not. After all, Mickelson hasn't been a factor at the U.S. Open since 2013 and interest in the Open hasn't subsided. Mickelson, while popular, doesn't move the needle like Tiger did back in his day (no one does), and all of this attention that he's bringing on himself doesn't do any good. I suppose it's something to talk about until play actually starts Thursday, but it's the freakin' U.S. Open, don't we have enough to talk about already?

This week:
U.S. Open - Erin Hills - Erin, Wisc.

Last Year:
Dustin Johnson shot a final-round 67 on his way to a three-stroke victory over three players, including Jim Furyk.

PLAYERS TO CONSIDER

Dustin Johnson

Although he hasn't won for a couple months, he's still the best player on the planet, and he has a great track record at the U.S. Open. Yes, the U.S. Open is played on a different course every year, but the setup courses are often similar. DJ won the Open last year and finished runner-up the year prior and T4 in 2014.

Jason Day

It feels like Day has been close to putting it all together for a while now — and if he fails to play well this week, maybe it just isn't his year — but I have a feeling that he will make a run this week. Day is comfortable on the U.S. Open setups as proof by his five top-10s in just six starts. Included in those top-10s are two runner-up finishes in 2011 and 2013.

Sergio Garcia

Prior to his breakthrough win at the Masters, Garcia posted strong finishes at all of the four majors, including the U.S. Open. Garcia has three top-10s in his past eight starts at the Open and he hasn't missed a cut at this event since 2006. Maybe now that he has the monkey off of his back, he can post his best finish ever at the Open.

Charl Schwartzel

Schwartzel has fared pretty well on U.S. Open layouts over his career, making the cut in eight of 10 starts. Schwartzel has five top-25s in his last seven starts at the U.S. Open and is coming in off a good showing at the St. Jude where he finished runner-up.

Francesco Molinari

Molinari is a decent sleeper this week as he does something very well that's an absolute necessity at the U.S. Open -- drive the ball accurately. His form looks pretty good as well as he posted a T6 at the Players a few weeks ago.

PLAYERS TO AVOID

Zach Johnson

Johnson's game would seem to be a good fit for the U.S. Open, but for whatever reason, he's never really fared well on the Open layouts. Johnson has missed the cut in five of 13 starts and has only one top-10. Add to that, his form this season has been, well, off what is expected from Johnson, and this week looks like a good week to pass.

Lucas Glover

Is it possible to win a U.S. Open and still have a terrible track record? Probably not, but Glover's track record begs the question. Glover has missed the cut at the U.S. Open in eight of 11 starts and his lone top-10, was his win in 2009. Glover obviously got hot for one week in 2009 and another good showing at the U.S. Open should not be expected.

Bubba Watson

As you might expect, Watson's game has never translated well to a U.S. Open setup, and there's no reason to think that changes this week. Watson has missed the cut at five of his 10 U.S. Opens and has only one top-10.

Paul Casey

Casey is generally a good option at the majors with the exception of the U.S. Open. Casey has missed the cut at the U.S. Open in six of his 13 starts and has only one top-10 to show for his efforts.

Bryson DeChambeau

It was at the 2016 U.S. Open that DeChambeau first caught the attention of golf fans across the country. After that performance, many thought he and Jon Rahm were the next big things on the PGA Tour. While Rahm has taken off, DeChambeau has struggled mightily. DeChambeau has missed seven consecutive cuts entering this week.

ONE AND DONE GOLFER

Last week: Brooks Koepka (T37) - $36,912; Season - $6,353,074

This week:
Jason Day - It's obviously time to pull out the big guns and with DJ burnt long ago, I'm going with Day this week. Fortunately with the way he's played for most of the season, he probably will be less popular than the likes of Spieth and McIlroy, so there's a chance to pick up some ground on the leaders as well.

YAHOO PICKS

This Week:

Group A: Jason Day, Dustin Johnson

Group B:
Justin Rose, Francesco Molinari, Kevin Kisner, Jordan Spieth

Group C:
Sergio Garcia, Thomas Pieters

SURVIVOR PICK

Last week: Brooks Koepka - (T37); Streak - 5

This week:
Francesco Molinari - When it comes to the U.S. Open, there really is no safe pick, so I'm going with my gut on Molinari this week. I like the way he's driving the ball this season (he's second in driving accuracy), and his overall game has been pretty solid this season.

Want to Read More?
Subscribe to RotoWire to see the full article.

We reserve some of our best content for our paid subscribers. Plus, if you choose to subscribe you can discuss this article with the author and the rest of the RotoWire community.

Get Instant Access To This Article Get Access To This Article
RotoWire Community
Join Our Subscriber-Only Golf Chat
Chat with our writers and other RotoWire Golf fans for all the pre-game info and in-game banter.
Join The Discussion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Greg Vara
Vara is the lead golf writer at RotoWire. He was named the FSWA Golf Writer of the Year in 2005 and 2013. He also picks college football games against the spread in his "College Capper" article.
Yahoo PGA DFS Picks: RBC Heritage Cash and GPP Strategy
Yahoo PGA DFS Picks: RBC Heritage Cash and GPP Strategy
2024 RBC Heritage Betting: Picks, Odds, Predictions and Best Bets
2024 RBC Heritage Betting: Picks, Odds, Predictions and Best Bets
Read The Line Betting Breakdown: RBC Heritage
Read The Line Betting Breakdown: RBC Heritage
Weekly PGA Preview: RBC Heritage
Weekly PGA Preview: RBC Heritage