Login: Sign up now! or
call 888-201-3057
| Help | Why Subscribe?
Yahoo! SportsFoxSportsESPN
HOME NFL MLB / Minors NBA NHL GOLF RACING NCAAF NCAAB MORE...    BLOGS MYROTOWIRE ASK AN EXPERT WIRELESS
  Mock Drafts | Baseball Commissioner | Football Commissioner | More
Search for Player:      
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Increasing Pitcher Values

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Qstar View Drop Down

Quote Qstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Increasing Pitcher Values
    Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 7:06am
We run an 11-team mixed keeper roto auction league with weekly rosters.
Our current categories are: Runs, HR, RBI, SB, BA, OPS, K's, Wins, Saves, ERA, WHIP.

Our starting roster settings are: 2xC,2x1B,2x2B,2xSS,2x3B,UT,5OF, 3SP,2RP,4P + 10 reserve slots

Hitting still seems to win the day in our league and most of the auction dollars are spent there. (16:9 starting slots and 1 extra roto-category)

I'm wondering if we need to add a roto category to the pitching side to help increase the value of pitchers.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I lobbied for QS instead of wins, but nobody wanted to make that change.

Would adding something like IP help? or would a rate category like K/9 be better?
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 7:24am
You should have even cats for hitting and pitching.

Adding IP would just make people grab all 2 start pitchers more then they already do in weekly leagues. On the other hand adding k/9 would not change the way people draft since everyone already goes for the high K guys since you use strikeouts for pitchers. I also hate quality starts since 6 IP and 3 er's is a quality start yet a bad pitching day. If you can adjust what a quality start is in your league to something like 7 IP and 2 runs or less then I like it. Maybe use a cat like W/L. Or just losses by themselves. This stops the streamers just using two start guys like crazy. I use that in a few of my weekly leagues.
Qstar View Drop Down

Quote Qstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2014 at 8:21am
Streaming isn't a big issue in our league since all FAAB moves are subject to our salary cap system.

We have $300 to auction our starting rosters + 10 x $1 reserves and each FAAB player picked up incurs a $1 charge against our salary cap.

We have a provision to that allows teams to go into salary cap debt (up to a hard cap of $330) with a corresponding penalty the following year - ie. if you ran up $312 of salary cap charges in 2013 b/c you picked up 15x$1 guys through FAAB, you will only have $288 for the 2014 auction and faab salaries.
 Post Reply Post Reply