RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Billy Hamilton

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billy Hamilton
    Posted: 09 Dec 2013 at 9:59am
How high do you rank him on your outfield list if he is the leadoff hitter for Cincy opening day? 100 sb's?
STEELCITY10 View Drop Down

Quote STEELCITY10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 12:05pm
Wow thats a tough question yet good one.I know he was up for a little bit last season but still needs to adapt to major league hitting.7-19 .368 avg isn't a big enough sampling for me.I think he will be a two category producer at the top of the Reds lineup...100 plus runs,zero power and yes lots of sb....his largest net in the minors if you count sb-cs is 83 which is great.I think he will have to learn the pitchers more,their tendencies etc.I say top 50-60 he will have a learning curve for sure.Just my two cents
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 3:22pm
I bet he gets drafted as a top 25 outfielder in drafts if he wins the leadoff job.
STEELCITY10 View Drop Down

Quote STEELCITY10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2013 at 6:31pm
If someone reaches anything is possible...
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 10:40am
It's rare you can draft one player and he can almost win you one cat by himself.
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by LABLUE

It's rare you can draft one player and he can almost win you one cat by himself.

exactly...it will be tempting for a lot of owners, which is why i think he will be drafted higher than he maybe should in a lot of drafts.

Top 25 is a lock for me. I hope he turns into more.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2013 at 8:25pm
I always hate taking a zero HR and 25 rbi player but if he gives me 100 sb's then it is worth it.
copemoney View Drop Down

Quote copemoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 2:42pm
Rotowire has him projected for like 75 SBs this year.. just crazy
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 5:18pm
CBS has him for 69. I think he will get about that many even if he hits 250-260.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2014 at 5:20pm
Problem is if he hits 250 that hurts your average. Then he hits zero hr's. Then 30 rbi's. Even though he might get 70 sb's he still might not score 100 runs since he is never on base enough. So he could be the average player in runs and the best player in sb's yet kill you in the other 3 cats in a 5x5 league.
Jwalk100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jwalk100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2014 at 3:35pm
If he fails to hit and doesn't lower his strikeouts, he can't steal first.
The Rap View Drop Down

Quote The Rap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 4:15pm
If he hits just .235 he will steal as many bases as two top basestealerss and will score over 100 runs

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2014 at 8:15pm
i'm not sure about 100 runs, he's not a sure thing. If he struggles in April and into May, he isn't so good that a demotion to AAA is out of the question. He will need to perform to keep his role as the everyday CF and lead-off hitter. Spring Training will be his litmus test. I hope he does well just as a fan of the game, because i think he would be a good story for MLB. There should be more base-stealing goin' on!
higgsboson View Drop Down

Quote higgsboson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2014 at 12:51pm
I think he is ranked too high. Even if he gets the starting job out of spring, if he struggles with major league pitching and can't get on base then there is a good chance he gets sent back down for more seasoning. That's why they are making sure they have a backup plan. Lot of risk for a one category guy. People were saying the same thing about Dee Gordon a few years ago. Sure he could swipe 70+ if he could get on base.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 6:58am
I hear alot of people compare him to D. Gordon as far as getting on base but they both play a defensive position and Gordon sucked at defense. If he was playing great defense at SS then the Dodgers would have given him a much longer chance. Maybe still be the starter there. Hamilton should be a top defensive CF giving him a much longer leash.

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 5:11pm
i think 70 is conservative. the kid stole 13 bases as a pinch runner last year. That means, teams knew he was being put in the game to steal a base, and he still stole the bases...that's incredible only being caught once....70 is a base-line and anything on top is what i expect....
bebobri View Drop Down

Quote bebobri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 7:05pm
His OBP was .308 in AAA last year... 38 walks in 547 plate appearances. That number will go down in the bigs. Ya'll are smoking crack if you think he's an 80 steal guy. Won't get on base.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2014 at 7:17pm
He needs to get on base at about a 350 clip to get 70 sb's. The walks plus so many singles since he has very little power will put him on 1b enough to get 70-80 sb's.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2014 at 12:02pm
If he's hitting .230, he's not going to be leading off...and quite possibly won't be in the bigs...

You have to get on base to steal a bag...and, he's not good at getting on base...

Edited by daswah - 31 Jan 2014 at 12:02pm
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2014 at 1:42pm
Based on the level of competition that Hamilton was successful at in my view it is overly optimistic to expect Billy Hamilton to hit well enough to stay in a major league lineup.

I'm not saying he can't hit at all but things add up for him about the same is they did for Peyton Manning and the Denver Bronco's vs. the Seahawks in the Superbowl. In other words, like Denver, while Hamilton has racked up stats against weak completion as Denver did last season Peyton Manning simply wracked up TD passes against weak competition and even padded stats at a ridiculous rate much like Hamilton did with SB's in the minors but things change when the level of completion is raised.

I'm not convinced Hamilton can hit. He has had some notable slumps in the minors. It wouldn't surprise me to see Hamilton struggle to hit above .200.

Hamilton could be a SB monster or the most over paid for player in the league. I can win a league without Hamilton even if he steals 100+ bases and with the still incredible hype about Hamilton chances are it will be hard to get a deal on him unless he has already had problems in the Spring.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.