RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Trading Draft Picks & Keepers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
bfritz View Drop Down

Quote bfritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Trading Draft Picks & Keepers
    Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 8:52am
I have been commissioner in our league for almost 12 years now and this off-season we began discussing the possibility of trading draft picks for the current draft and also future draft. As well as the possibility of trading keeper rights for a player that has either been previously kept or from this years draft.

Some people in the league feel this could also keep things interesting year in and year out for the teams that are not doing as well down the stretch.

I was wondering if anyone else in another league has rules like this in place and if they could explain to me in detail how this would work league wise and if it makes the league more interesting.

All thoughts and advice is welcomed.

Thanks all.

-Brian
koopasauce View Drop Down

Quote koopasauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:28am
In our league we all draft pick trades current and future picks, we allow people to trade keeper positions - if you have 7 players you want to keep you can trade another player for one of their 6 keeper positions, we allow money to be involved in the trade, thats about it for our league I believe (im not commissioner).  The main thing is to make sure that if a trade happens to tell the commissioner (you) so they can keep track of all the transactions happening with in the league.  

Quote koopasauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:28am
Ill check this post again if you have any questions Ill do my best to help you out.

Cheers,
Rob.
bfritz View Drop Down

Quote bfritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 9:49am
Thanks for the advice Rob.

I think the biggest questions I have been receiving from owner's in my league is what happens if a team is a tanking and trades their 1st and 3rd pick for say Calvin Johnson and ends up missing the playoffs and drops out of the league following year - not saying that will happen but you never know.

Does the new team come in and now they don't have a 1st and 3rd round pick moving forward?

I think that is where it kind of gets tricky for me as a commissioner - I have no problem running an excel spreadsheet to keep track of all trades and movement within the league.

Also - we talked about adding in a supplemental draft at the end of our draft for teams who did not have enough draft picks to fill their roster.
flintstock View Drop Down

Quote flintstock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 1:02pm
Retention has always been a problem in keeper leagues and doesn't always work well for all people. My long-term league went to keepers for a few years, but then stopped doing it because teams with the LT, Faulk or Priest Holmes always won and teams that weren't able to keep an LT, Faulk or Priest Holmes just didn't have a chance of winning against those teams who had them. Recent years have been much better for keeper leagues, but there still remains that possibility of non-competition. My advice is to start out slowly if you're changing the rules in your league. Go too hard too soon and you'll lose teams after this year because you likely have some teams more into the intangibles than others. Those that aren't will get disallusioned with your league if it takes too long or is too hard to figure out how to be successful in it.
bfritz View Drop Down

Quote bfritz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2013 at 1:09pm
Thanks for the advice man - Yeah we have keeper rules in place that sort of limit being able to keep LT, Faulk, Priest year in and year out.

Our keeper policy is straightforward:

-You can keep 1 player, however, you are not forced to keep a player.

- You can keep anyone that you drafted the previous year, who was on your team the duration of the season, and finished the regular season on your roster. This means no FA pickups, no traded or released players.

- You can keep a player as many times as you wish. There is no cap except for when the round that you would keep the player in would be prior to Round 1. The number of rounds you have to draft your keeper ahead of where he was drafted last season is equal to the _th time the player is being kept. The below example illustrates this:

2012: Drafted Round 14
2013: Drafted Round 13 (1st time kept)
2014: Drafted Round 11 (2nd time kept)
2015: Drafted Round 8 (3rd time kept)
2016: Drafted Round 4 (4th time kept)
2017: Not allowed to be kept.

So pretty much you cannot keep a player if you drafted them in the 1st round ever.

Thanks again for the insight.

-Brian

Quote koopasauce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 12:00pm
Sounds like you have a good base for your league, we had a problem with someone leaving the league and the new guy had to have the same team with same players.  We made the guy leaving buy his team out (100$ per person each year for league so he paid the 100$ for the new guy when he left). It sucks having a team built for you already but if you like football you'll manage.
Another idea instead of 1st round picks you should find the ranks of each player at the end of the year and you cant keep a top 15 players in each category  so everyone has a chance to draft a great player each year (certain players wont change like ap or c.johnson or j.gramham) so if someone emerges as a top player like alfred morris last year you cant keep him.
Sorry for late response work has been hell haha.

-Rob.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.219 seconds.