RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Atlanta Rotation- Alex Wood?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Atlanta Rotation- Alex Wood?
    Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 8:44am
Atlanta seems to be over flowing with quality starting pitchers.
Even with Tim Hudson out for the rest of the year they have
Beachy
Teheran
Minor
Medlan
Alex Wood
Paul Maholm (DL) soon to return

There was talk about Medlen going to the pen and I believe an acknowledgement from him that while he dcould happen. Medlen pitched well since the All Star break. Alex Wood has pitched well.

Question- Who ends up being the odd man out?
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 10:14am
Wood.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 11:02am
LA - any info on that or just figuring it would be Wood that is the odd man out?

Can almost see them going to a 6 man rotation soon since they have a few pitchers that are on pace to hit all time innings highs for a season. Personally I would waiver Maholm if he didn't willingly go to the pen.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 11:05am
Just guessing. He is the young one and in his 3 starts two of them he gave up 3 and 4 runs.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 11:31am
Next question is if you had a choice from this point forward in this season would you use Alex Wood or Michael Wacha? Seems to be a matter of guessing who will be starting the rest of the season if either are?
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 11:46am
I think Wacha is a better pitcher and Wood has better stuff. Usually, the stuff translates early on, but the better pitcher will rise to the top after some time. I'd say go with Wood for the short term, but I'd rather own Wacha in a keeper league.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2013 at 7:00pm
Alex Wood looked really good again today with 6 shut out innings, 7K's and just 2 hits and a walk so he might be building more momentum to remain in the rotation. As for the Wacha comparison I asked about since it was announced by the GM that Wacha is moving to the pen after todays start I guess Wood is the only one with a shot at remaining a starter.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2013 at 8:24am
*With Medlen being called on to pitch out of the pen yesterday, Alex Wood continuing to pitch very well, it seems like the talk of a month back about Medlen moving to the bullpen may have a lot of traction and the way the Braves will go. Nothing is done until it happens but with all things considered including Medlen's inning count for the season it will be interesting to see what happens when Maholm is activated. IMO Maholm should be the pitcher that is out of the rotation because he looks like the weakest link right now.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 2:45pm
I posted this question in Bernie's column.

" I am LOADED with starting pitching in my dynasty league, and have offered Wood and Matt Davidson for Nick Castellanos. I think Castellanos will be a very good major leaguer, and that he will develop power. Would you make that deal? The Tigers don't have that good of a track record with hitting prospects, and Atlanta definitely knows what they are doing with pitchers"

He replied:

"If you are loaded with starters, the deal makes sense for you. However, I want to share that i'm not a huge Castellanos fan. Lots of others are, however. I may have seen him at his worst."

My last response:

"Well, this is a keep 23 players as long as you like, with no salaries league. I'll probably keep 10-11 pitchers. I have Wainwright, Sale, Moore, Corbin, Zimmerman, D. Holland, Cingrani, Nova, Wood, Ventura, Odorizzi, Ross, and Haren in my rotation, and G. Holland, Nathan,and Melancon in my pen. That means 5 or 6 of these guys will be cut anyway. Haren and Melancon are my first choices to go, but after that it gets tough. I listed my starters in order of how I value them right now. I would have placed Zimmerman 3rd or 4th before his recent rough patch, which may have been a bit high with his K rate, anyway. I can't believe I have Nova that high, but he has been impressive for the past couple months. Any criticisms on the ranks? I would normally keep more hitters, but I've traded away a lot of future studs for immediate stats, since I'm neck-and-neck for first. Other than Joc Pederson, I have no hitting prospects to speak of, hence the interest in Castellanos."

Any thoughts from you guys?
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:00pm
Minor being skipped for a start.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 3:02pm
Id make that deal for Cast.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2013 at 4:37pm
I'm not a big Castellanos fan. I'm very tough on grading outfielders as I put a higher degree of production criteria required when I evaluate them. While Castellanos is young enough at 21 he hasn't shown enough skills beyond the average for a fantasy outfielder. Certainly doesn't steal many bases and his BA, HR, and RBI production are definitely not outstanding at this time.

I don't think I would trade a pitcher like Alex Wood that figures to be pitching for a winning team for an outfield prospect like Castellanos as you can usually pick up outfield prospects a bit more easily.
I'm sure his mom and owners would disagree :-)
My 2 cents

Edited by PennMan - 20 Aug 2013 at 4:39pm
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.