RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

How does one...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does one...
    Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 6:49pm
...discuss needs and wants and trades and strategy on a forum where many of the managers in your league are on the actual message board?
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2013 at 9:34pm
I always like talking about it even if people are in my leagues. Plus nobody from my money leagues is here. Just free leagues.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2013 at 3:55pm
You can private message users of the forum. It's a little cumbersome, but if there's something you need an answer to, and don't want league mates in on it, it works. STEELCITY asks me for opinions on trades every so often. I try to get back to him as soon as possible. The only problem with doing that, is you can't ask a big group of people for opinions all at once.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 8:14pm
So then...I guess I start off by asking...why does every trade offer have to have 9-10 players?  Why can't someone just give a straight 1 -1 or 2-1 offer?
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 8:19pm
And what's with all the managers who are legitimately out of the running, trying to pawn off DL, prospects, or unperforming duds and expecting returns of gold.

I mean...the team I took over is at least close enough to attempt a legitimate run at the top 3...and teams 25+ points out of it are circling like sharks...
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 10:02pm
Unless the teams have obvious needs and complement each other, 1 for 1 trades are hard. I hate when someone offers me Matt Harvey for Troy Tulowitzki, for example. Unless I have a backup SS of at least Asdrubal Cabrera caliber, how can I just part with my SS? Even if I do have a backup, is the deal sufficiently equal that I can part with Tulo? What if I trade Tulo for a pitcher and the pitcher gets hurt?

One reason I like multi-player deals:

If one guy doesn't pan out, or gets injured, the trade isn't a total bust. I still got someone out of the deal.

One thing I hate is when you have unequal teams making a trade in a keeper league, and the weaker team offers me 4 guys for 1. I already have a strong keeper set. I'm not about to dilute my quality to take on extra bodies.

Conversely, I run into a lot of owners with crap teams, who could very easily dump 4 scrubs to take on quality players, but stubbornly adhere to the "I have to have the best player in the deal" mantra. Well, you can't improve your best keeper AND get deeper at the same time.

I once had a guy tell me he wanted my best player, even though the guy offered was completely fair, if not more valuable than his player. His thought process was that if he was giving up his best, I should give up mine, and then we can even it out with lesser players. I told him that if our teams were equal, that's one thing, but I was 12 keepers deep in a 7 keeper league. He may have had 4...maybe. If he wanted to have 7 quality guys, he was going to give up his top guy and get 3 or 4 guys, but he wouldn't see reason. He never made a deal with anyone.

The bottom line is a lot of owners are idiots. You're going to field a lot of bad offers, especially if it's a league where you don't really know the guys. Anonymity breeds bad offers.

Lastly, on prospects...

I love prospects. I'll trade for them readily, if I have bench space. Some guys would rather have a bunch of backups on their benches. Whatever, those guys are worthless, especially when there are similar players on waivers. There are no Yasiel Puig, Zack Wheeler, Christian Yelich-types on waivers. But, those guys are the first to comment that you have all the prospects when they come up, and act like you're committing some crime by stashing them.

When it comes down to it, the trade landscape in your league depends on the owners. If you always seem to get bad offers there are two possible fixes:

1. Find a new league
2. Quit over-valuing your players

There's a decent chance your solution isn't #2, but I've run into a lot of owners that should take that route.

LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2013 at 10:08pm
Bottom teams should offer all there extra players that they are not keeping to the teams up top that can use them to win that year. They just need to get the better keeper in the deal to give up the extra help. Even though they are not keepers they can still help some teams that are in the running.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2013 at 8:11am
I think my biggest problem is that I have certain players who I will NOT have on my team, regardless of how good they are...
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.