Login: Sign up now! or
call 888-201-3057
| Help | Why Subscribe?
Yahoo! SportsFoxSportsESPN
HOME NFL MLB / Minors NBA NHL GOLF RACING NCAAF NCAAB MORE...    BLOGS MYROTOWIRE ASK AN EXPERT WIRELESS
  Mock Drafts | Baseball Commissioner | Football Commissioner | More
Search for Player:      
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Kipnis for Craig?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kipnis for Craig?
    Posted: 18 May 2013 at 2:13pm
This is my friends and family, 12 team, 5 x 5 roto league. We keep 7 players, with no salaries or term limits. I'm currently in 4th place. I'm in 8th place in steals and runs, middle of the pack in rbi and batting average, and 3rd in homers.

I may be able to deal Jason Kipnis for Allen Craig (eligible at 1B and OF.)

My lineup:

C- S Perez
1B- J Morneau
2B- R Cano
3B- B Lawrie
SS- J Rutledge
OF- M Trout
OF- J Upton
OF- D Fowler
OF- D Span
U- N Arenado
U- J Kipnis

Bn- B Belt, A Simmons, W Myers, Y Puig
DL- G Stanton

Obviously, I expected more out of Lawrie, and gambled a bit at SS with two youngsters, but I really thought this offense would produce about 50 points instead of the current 34.

So, is Craig a big enough improvement at 1B over Morneau, or in the outfield over Span to give up Kipnis as a top-notch back up to Cano at 2nd, and a nice power/speed utility guy? Craig has 2 homers to Kipnis' 7, and zero steals compared to Kipnis' 7.

If I make this trade, I'm thinking I gain batting average, homers (probably), runs and rbi, but losing a good amount of steals.

Does this make my team better? Most people would think Craig is a slam dunk over Kipnis, but in my situation he might not be.

Thoughts?

Not really pertinent to this trade, but this is my pitching staff:

SP  C Kershaw
SP  S Miller
SP  D Holland
P    M Garza
P    J Fernandez
P    A Cashner
RP E Frieri
RP J Henderson
RP B Parnell

Bn- B Morrow, T Cingrani, K Gausman, Z Wheeler, J Odorizzi

DL- D Price, B Anderson
Jwalk100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jwalk100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 4:01pm
I would take craig. The gains in batting avg hrs runs and rbi outweigh the losses in steals. you can make those up somehow later.

its gonna make your team better in long term
navyman540 View Drop Down

Quote navyman540 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 11:46am

Take craig, I can see him hitting about 20-25 HRs by the end of season.

lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:32pm
I actually pulled the offer. Kipnis has his average up to .264, and he has 7 homers, 9 steals, 22 runs and 24 rbi. That's a .264, 27 HR, 86 R, 94 RBI, 35 SB pace. Do I think he'll actually come close to a 30/30 season? No, but I think 20/20 is well within reach.

I may need a better 1B, but is Craig really much better than Morneau?  Their current stats:

Craig 161 AB, .3043 avg, 2 HR, 22 R, 30 RBI, 1 SB
Morneau 161 AB, .3043 avg, 2 HR, 20 R, 29 RBI, 0 SB

Kipnis 144 AB, /2639 avg, 7 HR, 22 R, 24 RBI, 9 SB

Craig and Morneau are about as identical as you'll find, right now. I do think Craig comes in with about 5 more homers than Morneau, and probably scores a few more runs, when it is all said and done. However, I don't think the minor improvement is worth giving up a good 2B, who can serve as my utility guy and quality backup to Robinson Cano.

Edited by lvtdude - 21 May 2013 at 12:32pm
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2013 at 12:35pm
By the way, according to CBS's statistical ranking system, Kipnis is the 3rd ranked 2B, behind only Cano and Pedroia. 
 Post Reply Post Reply