FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Records vs. Teams

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Thomas10966 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Thomas10966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Records vs. Teams
    Posted: 02 May 2013 at 10:08pm
Rotowire is great and I've been a subscriber for over a decade. However, their player news items for this season keep mentioning a player's career statistics against the team he will be playing. Do these really matter? It seems 90% meaningless to me since the sample size is tiny and the teams change so much from year to year. Any thoughts?
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 5:56pm
Stats for a players career vs. teams they will face can be very valuable for daily lineup league formats.

Like most stats they can mean more to one person than another and utilized differently in decision making but they are far from useless.

*At the very least you get the information and get to do with it what you will. FAR BETTER THAN NOT HAVING THAT INFORMATION!!!

IMO and I believe most others as well.. the more information provided the better!
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 6:30pm
Agree more info the better. I remember when Wakefield was a waiver wire pickup for years and he was something like 18-0 vs TB lifetime at one point. I picked him up anytime he faced them. Would seem to always be a 8 inning 1 er start and win.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:40pm
Stats show trends.  Trends aren't always right, but they tend to be right.  I've found that I like making educated guesses, and my biggest mistakes have been when I have ignored glaring things like Gallardo in April and against the Cardinals...
Thomas10966 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Thomas10966 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2013 at 10:03am
I think a stat like Gallardo in April is different and can indeed show a trend, so it has value. A pitcher's performance vs. a particular batter and vice versa can also be useful, especially in daily leagues.

I just don't get the value of performance vs. teams. Is how Jeter performed ten years ago vs. Tampa Bay useful? Not one of those players is still on the team.

It reminds me of the first thing my Statistics professor said to us-"there are three kinds of statements: lies, damn lies, and statistics."

Then again, if my opponents are basing their decisions on career performance vs. teams data, all the better for me.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 11:20am
It's still all in how you interpret the stats.  Some you follow, and some you ignore.  How Jeter performed 10 years ago is meaningless for a lot of reasons...
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2013 at 12:11pm
The one thing I've found from being a long time Roto enthusiast as well as poker player is that the information available is only as useful as the person that is using it.

In other words, it isn't the information that is good or bad, it is how we chose to use the information that is important and decisions we make given the information available.

lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:21pm
I don't go looking for that info, but if someone says, "pitcher X has an ERA of 8.55 and he's never won against Team A in 7 starts", I'd be foolish not to at least consider it.

The guys that are really into daily lineups, and micro manage their rosters, like LABLUE, are definitely better served to have the info than not.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:27pm
I admit even when I am looking for a 2 start pitcher to pick up for a week after I look at home/road, turf/grass, etc type splits I even look at how that pitcher did vs the other team the past year or so. I like all the info I can get for each move I make.

Edited by LABLUE - 06 May 2013 at 3:03pm
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 2:29pm
I have some pitchers that I never consider taking out, like Kershaw, Wainwright, even a struggling David Price, but when it comes down to the last couple decisions on my roster, I will look at matchups, home/road splits, etc.
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2013 at 7:22pm
Chris Young KILLS the Astros. I'd play him against the Astros.

Actually, i would play anybody on my roster who faces the Astros
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.078 seconds.