Login: Sign up now! or
call 888-201-3057
| Help | Why Subscribe?
Yahoo! SportsFoxSportsESPN
HOME NFL MLB / Minors NBA NHL GOLF RACING NCAAF NCAAB MORE...    BLOGS MYROTOWIRE ASK AN EXPERT WIRELESS
  Mock Drafts | Baseball Commissioner | Football Commissioner | More
Search for Player:      
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Who Won This Trade?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dmoore0822 View Drop Down

Quote dmoore0822 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Won This Trade?
    Posted: 01 May 2013 at 11:21pm
Simple, 10 team league, H2H, 5x5, who won and why:

Side 1:

- David Price
- Andrew McCutchen
- Adrian Beltre

Side 2:

- Adam Wainwright
- Evan Longoria
- Matt Kemp

** Thanks guys!
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 3:50am
It's an even trade.You won't know the "winner" until the season is done.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 8:58am
My personal leanings are toward Side 2 but as lvtdude stated it's an even trade and you won't know the "winner" until the season is done.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:01am
I personally like Side 1.

But it's more of a shake up trade than a trade to get better...
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2013 at 9:29am
The whole "winning a trade" mentality really bothers me. The trade is a win for me if it makes my team better. It doesn't have to be better for me than it was for the other team.

I make a lot of trades, and if I continually make my team better, I will have a successful season. I assume that I will make more good trades than my trade partners will make, so I don't worry about "winning" each deal. I see a lot of guys pass up deals or kill deals because they think it helps the other guy's team. That's just stupid.

For one thing, if you only make deals that benefit you, you won't make many deals- unless you play with idiots. And, if you do make a lot of those deals, people eventually start to resent you, and you end up with a reputation, which means you find it harder and harder to make deals. Even if you make a fair offer, they're worried that you are just screwing them, "like you always do."

It cracks me up when there are 2 or 3 guys in a league that never make trades, because they are so concerned about "winning a trade" that they never make fair offers, and rarely ever consummate a deal. They'll say things like, I couldn't give him Wainwright- he's already got a great staff, and I don't want to make it even better. The question is whether you can afford to deal Wainwright, and if dealing him will improve your team- not how good it makes the other team.

The first thing I do when looking to make a trade is look at WHO NEEDS WHAT I HAVE TO OFFER. There's no point in trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, but bad traders do it all the time, because they are only concerned about themselves. You know the guy. He sends you offers with Dan Uggla and Josh Reddick three times a week, even though you have Robinson Cano at 2B, and a stacked outfield, and he wants one of your three top-notch pitchers in return. Not once does he offer you a decent pitcher coming the other way. He'll point to the fact that Reddick hit 30-something bombs last year, and ignore that he'll never hit .280. Of course, he'll overlook the same problem with Uggla, even though he's trying to move them because they're killing his batting average!

These are the guys that call you up after they made a trade (or before) to find out if you think they've come out on top in a deal. These guys drive me crazy. Are you happy with how your team looks after the deal? If so, then you won.

So....

This trade looks fine. It's not a landslide either way, and either team could benefit. So, it's a win-win.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2013 at 8:49pm
I agree with much of lvtdude's post.  Trades are a funny thing.  Value is subjective.  I've been in leagues that don't pay much attention to who wins, and in one where the league fell apart because of trades that got panties wadded up.

I always have a hard time giving up players that I have picked to be on my team.  So more often than not, I need to have a glaring need due to injury, or if someone just needs to have one of my players on their team, I'll make a trade.

That being said...I'd made trades in rebuilding years that have really pissed people off.
 Post Reply Post Reply