Login: Sign up now! or
call 888-201-3057
| Help | Why Subscribe?
Yahoo! SportsFoxSportsESPN
HOME NFL MLB / Minors NBA NHL GOLF RACING NCAAF NCAAB MORE...    BLOGS MYROTOWIRE ASK AN EXPERT WIRELESS
  Mock Drafts | Baseball Commissioner | Football Commissioner | More
Search for Player:      
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Closers speculation in weak situations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closers speculation in weak situations
    Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 4:29pm
Some of the worst Bullpens are the Cubs, Brewers and St. Louis (With Motte likely out for the year).

I'm wondering what your takes are on these. Here is my current thoughts which are hardly set in stone!

For the Cubs it looks like Marmol just won't die in the organization. For some reason they want to keep killing themselves with this guy.
As everyone knows and it was far from a secret Fujikawa was the likely guy to end up with the most saves for the Cubs but he is dinged up with a strained forearm so hard to know what to expect from him.

For the Brewers, they seem to have some Talent issues. Axford has been blowing up since mid year last season so not surprising they pulled him from closer duty. Jim Henderson doesn't seem to inspire much faith given his mediocre history and word is the Brewers didn't even like him for the 8th inning set up spot but they were that thin. Henderson seems to be the guy at the moment only because they don't have anyone else. Of course they just gave K-Rod a minor league contract and have to promote him within 30 days or let him go so that could change as well as any other new faces that appear. I guess I lean a bit toward K-Rod at this point only because I see Henderson falling apart.

The Cardinals were set before Motte went down. Rosenthal figured to be a good possibility given his stuff but stuff doesn't make the closer. They have to be tough enough. Boggs was the 1st one slipped in but talk about melting down! Like ice cream on a 100 degree day. Mujica seems to be the only gritty pitcher in the mix there. He and possibly Salas who a couple of years ago had some success there. Of them all I guess I like Mujica. I'll take a guy that is plain tough over one with better stuff but clearly not ready like Rosenthal.

That's my general take. What do you guys all think?

PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 8:39pm
After seeing Boggs blow up again just now against St. Louis Mujica is looking better
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 9:46am
So far it looks like Mujica is solid in the spot. Rosenthal isn't pitching well and Boggs appears to be out of the picture altogether as he doesn't seem to be able to handle the 9th inning.
daswah View Drop Down

Quote daswah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2013 at 5:05pm
A dark horse in CHC would be Gregg.  He's got closer experience and the other guys are time bombs...
 Post Reply Post Reply