RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Who is your Favorite Minor League Prospect??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who is your Favorite Minor League Prospect??
    Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 4:06pm
This could be an ever changing subject but at this moment I'm wondering who you all like the best as a chance to be a real monster when they hit the big leagues?

For me and I'm guessing a lot of people Yasil Puig is now very intriguing. Huge Power and really good speed. He would have to be at the top of my list as far as offensive players that could make a huge impact.

Who do you all look forward to seeing hitting the big show?
patrick.maclean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote patrick.maclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 6:36pm
For fantasy purposes, I'll give you favorite pitcher and favorite hitter. Pitcher is more obvious will Dylan Bundy being my favorite fantasy prospect. Huge strikeout potential, has excellent command to keep his ERA down and will have a solid defense behind him. Gerrit Cole is close second.

My favorite hitter is Oscar Taveras. The sweet swinging outfielder has tremendous power potential as well as contact rate. A perenial all-star in his prime Taveras will not be an all or nothing hitter as he shows he can hit for both contact and power. A like him slightly more than my second favorite, Christian Yelich, who I think will win multiple batting titles. I'm really excited to see what Taveras can do!
STEELCITY10 View Drop Down

Quote STEELCITY10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 8:37pm
Tavares,Baez,Zunino and Wil Myers for me.Pitching I like Cole as well.If you want to go lesser known or not ready to come up this season give me Max Fried.Like Kevin Gausman and Zack Wheeler too.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 10:27pm
Puig and Tavares for hitters. Bundy for SP.
kevin1832 View Drop Down

Quote kevin1832 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:52am
P. Jesse Biddle is the second coming of Cole Hamels!
jtr5708 View Drop Down

Quote jtr5708 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 6:18am
I'll say the player nobody else wants to say: Billy Hamilton.  Yes, he may seem like a one-trick pony but there is no other prospect (or perhaps player) in existence that can affect one category as much as Hamilton.  There are questions about his ability to hit at a higher level but I think he will do just fine.  He takes his walks and had an OBP of over .400 across two levels last season.  It may take him a bit to catch up to the pitchers in the bigs but this kid will disrupt and change the course of games by himself.  I'm stashing him in my 12-team mixed roto league with no keepers and only 6 bench spots (no minor league bench spots).  If he makes it up soon I don't see why he can't get 40+ SBs this year.

Another hitter I am excited for is Jurickson Profar.  It's a shame that there is not a place for him on the big club now but I'm keeping close tabs on him in case of an injury in Tex.

Pitchers, yes Bundy is probably the most touted but this little elbow issue he is dealing with is a bit scary.  How many times have we seen pitchers rehab a mild strain, etc and then return only to need TJ after a few starts.  I bite my tongue because I would hate to see that happen to such a young, bright kid.  And of course, it is simply speculation. 

On a side note, I've completely given up on stashing Trevor Bauer in yearly leagues.  He may be great one day but he's too stubborn right now and seems almost uncoachable.  He is trying to strike everyone out.  He needs to stop being a thrower and start being a pitcher.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:16pm
jtr5708- I think Hamilton is more the player most people were thinking of for about a year. Lots of people are still salivating over him.

I'm just not a fan of 1 category OF's and that is all Hamilton figures to be IMO if anything at all for 2013. Beyond 2013 maybe a bit more if he manages to hit major league pitching. I just like Multi category players more.

jtr5708 View Drop Down

Quote jtr5708 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 5:36pm
@PennMan, I agree ideally a player should contribute in more than one category. But we are talking about a massive threat here. In my 12 team league every single 20-30 SB threat is owned, regardless of where else they contribute. Hamilton can do that in 1/4 of a season.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2013 at 6:15pm
jtr- it will be interesting to see if he gets the chance before September. With Ludwick on the DL and coming back in 2 months that isn't a spot for him. I believe Choo has to go down before they call up Hamilton during the season but we have to see.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 8:20am
My favorites are Zack Wheeler and Wil Myers. Other guys I'm really high on are Christian Yelich, Michael Wacha, Oscar Taveras, Yasiel Puig and Kevin Gausman.  A little further down my list are Noah Syndergaard, James Paxton and Danny Hultzen.

PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 9:20am
I think I recall reading some really strong reports on Syndergaard and Hultzen. It's always interesting to see how players develop and who exceeds expectations and who falls short. If only I had a crystal ball :-)
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 9:30am
The only thing I have against Hultzen is that he's 6'3" but he pitches from a crouch, making him look more like 5'10". If you watch him, it's really an odd habit. He brings his hands to the set position, then he basically sits down 4 or 5 inches. I wonder why none of his coaches have gotten to stand up straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0fRC5iomlE

Edited by lvtdude - 19 Apr 2013 at 9:30am
mesalex View Drop Down

Quote mesalex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 9:31am
Nolan Arenado 3B Colorado farm system. Massive power tailed off a bit last year. I suspect he will bounce back this year. Could be a mid June call up
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 9:50am
For Nolan Arenado - I don't see how he has massive power? Coors Field would certainly help him there but so far he hasn't been outstanding in that department. Should be a September call up as he needs a full season at AAA. Unless there is an injury. He is just 22 and needs to show he can hit the best of AAA pitching before he gets called up.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 9:58am
Originally posted by PennMan

For Nolan Arenado - I don't see how he has massive power? Coors Field would certainly help him there but so far he hasn't been outstanding in that department. Should be a September call up as he needs a full season at AAA. Unless there is an injury. He is just 22 and needs to show he can hit the best of AAA pitching before he gets called up.

I was about to say the same thing. From all accounts, he does hit the ball very hard, and he is young, so perhaps projects for plus power, but so far, not so much.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:00am
Originally posted by lvtdude

Originally posted by PennMan

I was about to say the same thing. From all accounts, he does hit the ball very hard, and he is young, so perhaps projects for plus power, but so far, not so much.

* I think it is easy to get excited in anticipating a 3B call up to Colorado. Something about Coors Field :-)
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:01am
Originally posted by kevin1832

P. Jesse Biddle is the second coming of Cole Hamels!

Because he's a Phillie?  Is that like Alex Gordon being the next George Brett?
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:16am
I think the reason I'm high on Yasil Puig is that the guy looks like he could be the real deal like a Vlad Guerrero. Talk about real power, this guy has it along with some legit speed. People were literally lining up to see him when he was hitting during spring training.

Oscar Tavares looks more like a legit 2013 contributor but the Cardinals have a problem of where to play him barring an injury.

Would sure like to see Jurrickson Profar called up to the Rangers but have a feeling a trade or injury has to happen there.

lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2013 at 10:38am
I think the Rangers have been ridiculously stubborn about parting with Andrus. They could get a big haul for him and play Profar. Their problem is all their top infielders are middle infielders. They should either move Kinsler to left field and play Andrus and Profar up the middle, or trade one of these guys for a top-notch pitcher, outfielder or first baseman. It makes no sense to have all three of these middle infielders.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2013 at 9:47am
If I was the Mets or another organization weak at SS I would be looking to upgrade there. I wouldn't hesitate to trade Zack Wheeler in a package deal for Andrus or Profar. There are other clubs that could use a good SS as well so just using the Mets as an example but they are one of the 1st clubs that come to mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.