RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Billy Hamilton or Hicks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
brettyd25 View Drop Down

Quote brettyd25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Billy Hamilton or Hicks
    Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 11:41am
12 Team standard non keeper roto league. Which of these guys would you pick up on waivers?

Aaron Hicks or Bobby Hamilton

I can get by with stashing them on bench if Hamilton call up is eminent?

Thanks!
jtr5708 View Drop Down

Quote jtr5708 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 2:15pm
I assume you are referring to Billy Hamilton.  With Ludwick out the chances of Hamilton getting called up has improved but it doesn't necessarily mean it is imminent.  I personally have both Hamilton and Hicks on my roster and I also may have to choose between one of them at some point.  Hicks doesn't seem to be off to the greatest start but he does have one thing Hamilton does not: a starting job in the MLB.  For right now I would try to hang onto both.  The situation may be much more clear in a week or two.
1ahn1 View Drop Down

Quote 1ahn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 5:31pm
Hicks is starting and batting leadoff; the Twins are likely to give him a long leash to learn on the job since they're not expected to compete for any titles this year. Plus he really doesn't have anybody seriously competing with him now that Revere & Span are gone. 
The Reds made moves to win now.  Hamilton hasn't shown that he can hit in the bigs yet and since you can't steal firstbase it's going to take an injury to another OF or Cozart for him to get called up anytime soon.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2013 at 8:22pm
Billy Hamilton I hope is a player someone else will overpay for.
If you saw him in spring training before he pulled his hammy he looked
completely overmatched! For a guy with no power and only speed that player better be able to draw walks and make excellent contact. Hamilton is still a project. Stealing a ton of bases in the minors is tempting to believe the player will be anything like that at the pro level but against average MLB pitching he has looked like does not belong.
dedmond29 View Drop Down

Quote dedmond29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2013 at 6:53am
Curious what people think about Billy Hamilton in a keeper league though? I just picked him up in one based on the current SS designation in Yahoo Sports. Not sure that will last next season but I have the roster space to stash a couple guys...
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 6:51pm
I would rather have Oscar Tavares, Christian Yelich, and a number of other players than Hamilton. Chances are Dee Gordon has a better future. He has been successful at a higher level and has some MLB experience and incredible on the bases if he is on base. Same thing for Hamilton but SS is a much better spot for a speed guy IMO.
Guess you know how I feel about it :-)
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2013 at 7:34pm
Id rather have Tavares then Hamilton but like Hamilton over the other guys PennMan named.
hwd23 View Drop Down

Quote hwd23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2013 at 5:59am
Hamilton is 8-19 so far at AAA. He could make an impact in roto leagues with a couple starts a week. Just have to be able to be near your PC when the lineups are announced. I got burned yesterday with Laroach. I saw he was playing and because he is famous for the slow starts I left him on the bench. 2 hr's. Hammilton is the best base stealer to come around in a while. If you can afford the spot I would let him have it. Hicks best season was last year at AA he hit .285 32-43 in SB. To go with a 2-30 start this year.....If speed is the need Taveras high in SB is 10 at any level. he can flat out hit. All depends what you are looking for.
patrick.maclean View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote patrick.maclean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 8:58pm
I strongly disagree with Lablue. No disrespect, but in my opinion PennMan is right. I follow prospects very closely and honestly Hamilton looks like a flash in the pan. Do't get me wrong the kid is extremely fast, but his approach is very inconsistent and will not work in the bigs. Hamilton doesn't have the hit tool for his speed to play in the majors. Look what happened to Dee Gordon, and I think Gordon has a more advanced hit tool than Hamilton. I currently have 13 minor league hitters ahead of Hamilton. If you exclude guys who are a couple years away ( A+ and under) I have 10 hitters in front of him. Yelich is certainly worth more than B.H, Yelich could be a perennial MVP candidate if he can increase his fly-ball rate. Unfortunately, Hamilton just doesn't have the bat to use that extraordinary speed.

Many may argue that his B.A has been high enough, but you must realize that Hamilton is currently beating out of alot of ground-balls that would be outs at higher levels. As the defense improves his average will go down, unfortunately. Therefore, I agree with PennMan, let someone else over-pay for that speed.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 9:06pm
I still like Gordon also. I wont write him off from a few months of big league ball ladt year. I hope people did not write Trout off in 2011 also for his bad play. I am a Dodgers fan and I want jim at SS right now while Hanley is out. Hamilton should be a 70 sb outfielderbin Cincy even if he hits 260. He will still get a ton of infield hits in the big leagues also regardless of the defense. I still take Tavares over him though for sure.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2013 at 11:16pm
At least Gordon plays SS where there is a bump up in value for scarcity of position. Especially in NL only leagues. Hamilton as an OF hardly has that going for him.

And then there is the fact that Dusty Baker doesn't exactly love inexperienced players. Couple that with the fact that the Reds have Choo to lead off now who is a solid hitter with experience and where does Hamilton fit in during the 2013 season?

Seems like September to me and not a lot of playing time then until the playoff race has been decided.

LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 2:33am
Hicks better start hitting or he will be sent back to the minors.
blellef10 View Drop Down

Quote blellef10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2013 at 11:34am
Hicks shouldn't be owned right now unless it is an extremely deep league with more than 16 teams or AL Only.   I am a Twins fan and have watched him play nearly every game.  If his struggles continue, the Twins will be forced to send him down to build his confidence back up...
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.051 seconds.