RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Category Emphasis strategy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
whanna View Drop Down

Quote whanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Category Emphasis strategy
    Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 10:09am
Does anyone have a good strategy for using the category emphasis in the draft software?  I am punting Saves and Wins, so I have those listed at -99 and -75.  Should I have the six categories I am shooting for weighted the same?  This is the first time I'm trying this.  Thanks.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:14pm
Punting one category can work if you do everything right, and get a little lucky. You should be able to win without punting, all things being equal. I can't imagine why you would willingly throw away two categories.
whanna View Drop Down

Quote whanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 7:42pm
Actually looking for advice on what values to use in the category emphasis section of the website. Not sure how much to weigh each one.

I have closers as keepers so i dont need any more saves. Wins are not predictable based on run support, blown saves, etc. so i dont value those.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 8:09pm
In 23 years of playing and in 10+ leagues a year nobody has ever won a league I was in when punting a cat from opening day. And you want to punt two of them? Tome that is a recipe for a middle of the road finish. Not last since you are sure to be good in some cats but not a top finish either when taking two last places in cats.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2013 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by whanna

Actually looking for advice on what values to use in the category emphasis section of the website. Not sure how much to weigh each one.

I have closers as keepers so i dont need any more saves. Wins are not predictable based on run support, blown saves, etc. so i dont value those.

That's not punting. You have saves already. Punting means you will ignore the category completely, in an attempt to maximize all the other categories.

I agree that you can't count on wins- see Cliff Lee, 2012. I look at WHIP, K/9, Batting Average Against, and ERA and assume that I'll be good enough in the win category using that approach.  I would think "punting wins" means you are using no starters, whatsoever.

Since you haven't been giving us a really good idea of what you're trying to do, it will be hard for you to get a decent answer.

Edited by lvtdude - 26 Mar 2013 at 9:26pm
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 12:44am
Punting means not going for a certain cat and taking last place there. Like LVT said.

Edited by LABLUE - 27 Mar 2013 at 12:44am
whanna View Drop Down

Quote whanna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 4:29am
Fellas: Sorry...didn't want to bore everyone with the details, but you are right--I am not "punting" any categories. For the purposes of this draft, I am not valuing saves whatsoever because I already have the category addressed with my keepers.

This is a 12-team, NL-only, head-to-head (each category is a win), 5x5, keeper, auction-style draft with salaries, contracts, extensions, minor league systems, etc. We are entering the 16th year of this league with the same owners. I have won the league seven of those years. I now have 3 kids and no time to prepare. I stumbled upon Rotowire's draft software, am very intrigued by the time it could save me--especially the segment of the software where you can weigh the categories up or down to produce dollar values that correlate with your own particular draft strategy.

I have won those seven titles without ever having the best overall record in the league. I play .600 baseball by focusing on six out of the ten categories. I don't punt any categories, but put extra emphasis on six categories that correlate with the talent of my keepers.

The cupboard is quite bare this year. My six categories are AVG, R, SB, ERA, WHIP, K. I have one closer, so that category will win 40-50% of the time. In our league, teams will either have 3 closers, 1 or 0. I value Wins exactly like LVT said. I look at BAA, K/9, K, ERA and WHIP. That should produce a decent amount of wins, so that category will likely be strong for me even though it's not one of my six.

So back to my original question...I am trying to play with the values in the category emphasis section of the draft software. Have you used this feature? While it was fun to put my six categories at +99 and the other four at -99 to find Ben Revere was valued at $59 (with inflation), I don't think that's the right answer. I also can't figure out if I should value my six equally, or if, for example, steals should be higher perhaps because of their perceived scarcity/value.

Any thoughts on specifically how to use that feature of the draft software would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
schoenke View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Quote schoenke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2013 at 3:25pm
We don't really have a way to calibrate the software to "punt" a category. Maybe that's something we should consider in the future. You can calibrate it with the category emphasises like you have and see how the player pool looks. That's probably as close as we can get. Or maybe just eliminate the category from your league and see how that looks. Neither is perfect. But those are some ideas. Hope that helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.063 seconds.