RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Help Select Keepers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kruptdevil View Drop Down

Quote kruptdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help Select Keepers
    Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:52pm
I'm in a keeper league and get to keep 10 players. I have some tough choices to make. Help me decide on my 10 keepers. Posey, McCuthen, Stanton, and Kemp are locks. I need to decide on the other 5. Who would you take?
I'm also leaning towards Profar (top rated SS are hard to come by and he's the top rated prospect this year)

Buster Posey
Andrew McCuthen
Gincarlo Stanton
Matt Kemp
Eric Hosmer
Aaron Hill
Paul Goldsmidt
Jurickson Profar
Ryan Howard
Dustin Ackley
Colby Rasmus
Adam Dunn
David Freese
Alejandro De Aza
Tory Hunter

Justin Varlander
David Price
Gio Gonzalez
Brett Anderson
Craig Kimbrel
Adam Wainwright
Shaun Marcum
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:55pm
Posey
Mccutchen
Stanton
Kemp
Goldschmidt
Verlander
Price
Gonzalez
Wainwright
Kimbrel
Jwalk100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jwalk100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 8:46pm
Posey
Mccutchen
Stanton
Kemp
Profar
Verlander
Price
Wainwright
Kimbrel
Gonzalez
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 12:05am
No Goldschmidt in a keeper league? Id rather keep him over Posey, Profar, Wain, Kimbrel, Gonzo. He is my 5th keeper off his list.
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:49am
Buster Posey
Andrew McCutchen
Giancarlo Stanton
Matt Kemp
Paul Goldschmidt
Justin Verlander
David Price
Gio Gonzalez
Adam Wainwright

Profar or Kimbrel for the 10th. It just depends on whether you want to wait for Profar or want the best CL in baseball right now
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:54am
The more i think about it:

I generally don't value closers very highly, and in a league with less than 20 keepers I won't keep prospects. But, Kimbrel is easily the best closer in the game and Profar isn't your average prospect. I would always tend to keep the guy who will help you win right now. That would be Kimbrel in your case. Would Profar be drafted in the 1st round? I wouldn't think so. You could always grab him with your 2nd pick. Kimbrel would be more likely to be gone in the first round. Therefore, i think he is the guy you have to keep.
thepearl-673 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote thepearl-673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 3:18pm
In my humble opinion, I would rather have the future of Hosmer than the future of Wainwright.

Quote kruptdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 4:40pm
Thanks for the input guys. It's a really tough decision for me this year. I feel I have 15 keepable players. I think I may be able to get Kimbrel with my first pick (that's how i got him last year). I'm even considering keeping Hill and Profar. It's really difficult to find elite middle infielders but P and OF come and go. Goldsmidt had tremendous power but I think Hosmer has potential to be elite too.

After Posey, McCutchen, Kemp, Stanton, Varlander, and Price. It's a tough choice out of:
Hosmer
Profar
A. Hill
Goldsmidt
G. Gonzalez
B. Anderson
A. Wainwright
Kimrel
rolandsneed View Drop Down

Quote rolandsneed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 6:09pm
Posey, McCutch, Kemp, Stanton, Verlander, Price, Goldschmidt, Hosmer, Profar, Kimbrel.

mastro802 View Drop Down

Quote mastro802 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
You know your top 4, then go Aaron Hill, Paul Goldschmidt, Price, Verlander and Kimbrel. Don't waste your time with Profar.  And as much as a guy like Hosmer should rebound and everybody wants to get the young stud on the rise, so with Ryan Howard as that 10th keeper.  Don't over think it.  Howard regained his power stroke as the season went on and in a full season can hit 40 homers.  Hosmer may steal more bases, but he won't sniff that HR total.  Keep bats over arms.  If this was a draft your 1st 10 rounds would be off the charts.
thepearl-673 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote thepearl-673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2013 at 10:28pm
But you're keeping their future production. Howard is 33 and his best years are behind him. Hosmer is 23 and his best years are yet to be played.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 2:43pm
Anybody over 32 has to be seriously downgraded in a keeper league, especially if they have injury history. I also don't value closers highly at all, but Kimbrel is a special case. Keep in mind, though, Eric Gagne was just as dominant, but really only had a 3 year window of greatness. If some argued he should fall out of the top 10, behind Profar and Hosmer, I wouldn't dispute that. I had Profar and Hosmer tied at 10. Hosmer had as much hype as Profar, and has taken his lumps, so he very well could explode now, while Profar takes his lumps. Success is not guaranteed.

As for Wainwright over Gio, count me among the people that stay far away from anyone even mentioned in anything regarding PEDs. Wainwright is a Cy Young caliber pitcher, and I believe he is 100% back.

1. Giancarlo Stanton
2. Matt Kemp
3. Justin Verlander
4. David Price
5. Buster Posey
6. Andrew McCutchen
7. Paul Goldschmidt
8. Craig Kimbrel
9. Adam Wainwright
10T Jurickson Profar
10T Eric Hosmer
12. Gio Gonzalez
13.Brett Anderson
14. David Freese
15. Dustin Ackley
16. Aaron Hill
17. Colby Rasmus
18. Ryan Howard
19. Alejandro De Aza
20. Torii Hunter
21. Adam Dunn 
22. Shaun Marcum

Edited by lvtdude - 24 Feb 2013 at 2:44pm
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2013 at 2:48pm
Those that say "keep production, don't consider prospects" never seem to think about the fact that trade value comes into play. I guarantee that Eric Hosmer has wayyyyy more trade value than Howard in any keeper league, and unless you are a guy that never trades, you have to factor that into your equation.

Quote kruptdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2013 at 12:11am
I haven't done too many trades in the past and if I'm keeping Hosmer for his potential, I will not be trading him unless I'm getting another stud or potential stud back. I have two options for my 9th and 10th picks. Go with two stud prospects who can anchor my team for years to come or go with the veterans to win this year. My team is pretty stacked and has a good shot at winning this year. Do I keep Profar around hoping he turns into the next Hanley Ramirez/Tulowitzki? I'm thinking either Eric Hosmer and Jurickson Profar or Aaron Hill and Gio Gonzalez. Hill is a pretty good player considering his position and his production. He has done fairly well since being in Arizona. Howard is a liability on avg and K's with a big question mark, not worth keeping. If I can get him back in middle rounds I'll take a chance. I'm leaning towards these 10 as of now.

Buster Posey
Andrew McCutchen
Giancarlo Stanton
Matt Kemp
Paul Goldschmidt
Justin Verlander
David Price
Adam Wainwright
Eric Hosmer
Jurikson Profar
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.031 seconds.