Login: Sign up now! or
call 888-201-3057
| Help | Why Subscribe?
Yahoo! SportsFoxSportsESPN
HOME NFL MLB / Minors NBA NHL GOLF RACING NCAAF NCAAB MORE...    BLOGS MYROTOWIRE ASK AN EXPERT WIRELESS
  Mock Drafts | Baseball Commissioner | Football Commissioner | More
Search for Player:      
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

What kinds of leagues do you all like best?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What kinds of leagues do you all like best?
    Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 6:08pm
Thought this might be interesting to share thoughts about.

For me I'm definitely an auction league draft guy and prefer Roto as opposed to H2H leagues. 5x5 or 4x4 are both good but prefer 5x5.

Don't much care for snake drafts anymore. Also, I prefer deep NL only or AL only leagues as oppossed to mixed so 12 teams.

How about you? What kind of draft styles, # of teams in a league, and format do you like?

LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2013 at 6:17pm
Roto snake drafts. Hate h2h. Way too much like football. All about luck. 2nd best score of the week and get a loss while other guys have bad weeks and gets wins out of it. Points leagues are boring to me. Points leagues would be like football not using h2h. Just keep overall scoring.

I like to prepare for drafts and plan out certain picks I know I will take in a snake draft 15 rounds later which help me decide which guys I will take early on and leaves holes in certain areas.

I won't play in h2h or points leagues again. I don't mind auction but just don't like it near as much as planning out my draft in a snake style.

Been playing for 24 years so have tried all kinds of leagues. I play in a 20 team league down to 10 team leagues. I actually prefer 10-12 team mixed leagues the best. I like have more talented teams and also having more talent on the waiver wire. The drafts are easier then a 20 teamer of course but it makes for a more fun league during the season for me. I like having to decide what good players to pick up each week rather then pick up only garbage you wont use the next week. In my 20 teamer there is crap out there. In my ten team I have to study alot each week on which SP to pick up and use next week. Looking at home/road splits, indoor/outdoor splits, how a team hits rightes/lefties, the SP he will be facing splits etc.

So while drafting a AL only or a 20 team mixed draft is more difficult and challenging I think running one of those leagues week to week is far easier and not much work to do compared to a mixed 10-12 teamer.

Edited by LABLUE - 10 Feb 2013 at 7:25am
Serotonin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Serotonin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 6:53am
Never done roto.
Serotonin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Serotonin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 6:54am
But i love my h2h leagues.
copemoney View Drop Down

Quote copemoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 9:04am
Love roto.. ideally 4x4 and league specific
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 11:23am
I prefer a 12 team, roto, 5 x 5 league. I would never do a 4 x 4 or an NL or AL only league, because I don't like things excluded, especially players. I like keeper leagues, especially those with many keepers, and I like them to be leagues where you don't lose those players due to contract length or value. I enjoy building a dynasty from the ground up. I like to have a few, or several, prospects to constantly keep track of.

I do play in a couple very deep 20 team leagues, but like LABLUE, I don't enjoy the waiver wire being completely barren.

I have also come to like 6 x 6 leagues, adding OPS and Holds to your standard 5 x 5 league. The great thing about them is you can collect quality relievers who are valuable whether they pitch in the 8th or 9th inning. If you have Kenley Jansen and he loses his closer gig to a person like Brandon League, he doesn't lose all his value, since holds are valuable.

As for H2H leagues, I also agree with LABLUE.  They are for the fantasy football player who wants the element of luck to be a weighty factor in determining a winner.

Edited by lvtdude - 10 Feb 2013 at 11:24am
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 11:25am
Also, with the advent of season long inter-league play, I think the idea of rooting for your AL only players while they play against NL players is simply ridiculous.
Jwalk100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jwalk100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 11:32am
I like keeper leagues and dynasty contract leagues. H2H, points or cats. I like 5x5 roto leagues.

I feel that all fantasy type leagues have a bit of luck involved. The skill is during the season making acquisitions that push you to the top. Either by trade or waiver wire.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 11:50am
The point is that in H2H, you could be the second highest scorer every single week, and end up with a winless record. That shouldn't even be possible.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 12:00pm
These responses are why I started this thread.
I like to know what others thoughts and prefernces are and why. I've found over the years mine have changed some.

The 1st league I was ever in was in 1988 and it was a snake draft league that was mixed and had limited categories. The best part of the fun was partnering with my buddy and evaluating the players and making decisions at the draft itself.

Then I was invited into a NL only redraft auction league that was a 4x4 league and was started a few years yearlier. I joined that league with my brother as my partner and once again had the greatest time planning for the draft itself. Figuring values and plotting a strategy. At the time there were no transactions at all in that league. It was draft and just keep the rosters you had all year. We received the updates on the standings once a month by fax until websites were available for keeping track of the stats and standings.

That league to this day is still 4x4 and is somewhat archaic but I enjoy the draft alot as we always draft live together and draft day is the best of each year. A few years back we voted in to allow one transaction per team on the 1st Sunday of each month. Pretty restrictive still but being in a league for 20 or more with most of the same people has it's pluses.

Then I joined another league that at the time drafted live together and they had been together since 1984. They were a 4x4 league at the time and allowed limited transactions. No bench NL only no keepers. That league had alot of old timers who were retired gents and some new blood like myself at that time. Since then we changed over to 5 x 5 format but most everything else is the same except we no longer draft live. We have our auction draft on CBSsports now which made it much easier on they guys that had to travel each year for the draft.   The online auction goes great and everyone gets to stay home and relax.

Also have been in a number of mixed leagues both snake auction as well as some keeper leagues.

As stated earlier my prefernce is definitley for NL only or AL only leagues that are deeper. I like thinner talent pools and not having each player be a star. I find it more of a challenge but that is my preference.

* None of my leagues that are AL only or NL only force you to lose the player if they are traded to the other league which was an issue in one league and things seem to run very well that way.

There is luck involved in each type of format. But then again there is luck in poker but good poker players are better at managing the percentages which is very similar to roto.

Everyone has opinions and preferances. I find it intersting to know what others perspectives. Not interested in debating what is best as what every we all like best is best for us.

Hope others keep posting.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 2:44pm
Yea everyone should do what they like the best. Even though we all like different things. Some like more luck then skill involved in their leagues. With so many leagues out there nowadays you are not forced to play in ones you don't like the settings for.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 3:15pm
Defining the differences in luck is another topic all together in my book.

Makes a difference as where you put the emphasis.

For me, I'm a draft guy so the more the draft affects the outcome the better. For some, they can't stand to be shackled to what they picked and horse trading with few limits are what gets them excited. Of course nothing causes more bad blood in leagues than trades that are seen as unfair or coersed. Waiver wire pick ups have their own factors as well in how lucky your team can be with timing, etc..

Do what you enjoy.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 4:02pm
After all the years of trying different styles I only play mixed leagues and roto. I might try a league with a few different cats then the normal 5x5 but it has to be mixed and roto for sure. I will do from 10-20 teams.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2013 at 3:33am
Also if you do a money league over the internet use a site like league safe. I have heard of a few people getting ripped off over the internet. I have never done a money league without knowing the commish personally. With something like league safe you can do it and know you will get your winnings.
reddogie1 View Drop Down

Quote reddogie1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2013 at 10:47am
We have 12 teams that have been playing for 10 years this year in a points based daily moves H2H league.  You play 2 teams every week and just like MLB you get a win or a loss.   We did roto the first year and noone liked it we like the competiton of 2 games a week which over the course of the season is a 44 game schedule. you play ever team 4 times for an even number against each team. We have the top 4 teams make the playoffs.
kruptdevil View Drop Down

Quote kruptdevil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2013 at 6:54pm
I like H2H point leagues and Keeper leagues.
PaddyJRI View Drop Down

Quote PaddyJRI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2013 at 12:30pm
My league has been going on for over 11 years and has evolved from a 10 team mixed 5x5 no keepers roto to a 12 team 6x6 with keepers roto. . Snake draft all this time. Last year we added a playoff element to the league to keep the majority of guys interested for the entire year, and it was a great addition.
graupner View Drop Down

Quote graupner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2013 at 3:49pm
I am playing in H2H leagues this year after many years of Roto,  I would appreciate any strategy tips.
sbeedle View Drop Down

Quote sbeedle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 7:29am
I like 4x4 only leagues with live drafts. In a great league now that is NL only 4x4 keepers and love it. I like the challenge of shallower draft and FA pools. I would consider 5x5 but not really into the runs and SO categories. I like the idea of OBP and holds though...
thepearl-673 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote thepearl-673 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2013 at 8:57pm
I have quit playing H2H. The championship is determined in a one week (sometimes a two week) period. That is way too small of a sample size to determine the league champion. You can have by far the most dominant team all season long, but the championship will hinge on your player's schedule and health for one week. This isn't sour grapes, I have had very good luck when playing H2H, but it's just that......luck. While there is luck involved to some degree in all fantasy formats, there is no reason to invite a result more dependent on luck.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>