RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Holy similarity, Batman!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holy similarity, Batman!
    Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:15pm
Check out these numbers for two different pitchers over the past 7 seasons:

124-63, 3.34 ERA, 1.169 WHIP, 1447 K

122-57, 3.14 ERA, 1.162 WHIP, 1453 K

Both are outstanding, right? (and nearly identical)

The first guy is Justin Verlander.
The second guy is CC Sabathia. Obviously, they are at different stages in their careers, but this is a statistical comparison that I never would have expected to be so close- especially, since it favors Sabathia.

I'd rather have the Detroit Tiger, of course, but credit where credit is due.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 8:16am
He has always been underrated. Guys like Felix and Verlander have always had way more fantasy value then CC by owners even though he is the same if not better.
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 8:48am
the difference is that in the last 3 years, something has clicked for Verlander, and he went from being a good SP to an elite SP. CC is on a different path. I do like the idea of waiting for CC instead of reaching for Verlander though. I think there's more value to be had there.
mike gottlieb View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Quote mike gottlieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 5:22pm
Another thing to consider with the two pitchers are their divisions. The lineups of the Twins, Indians, Royals and White Sox in Verlander's AL Central are not as daunting as the lineups of the Red Sox, Blue Jays, Orioles, and Rays in Sabathia's AL East. That new Blue Jays lineup is going to be a bear for all others in that division.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2013 at 6:18pm
All value judgments aside, my main reason for posting this is that I was so surprised that any two players could have stats so similar over the same 7 year period.

The differences are 2 wins, 0.007 WHIP, 6 K's, and the big one 0.20 ERA. It really is incredible.
Serotonin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Serotonin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:12am
You forget CC spent several years in Cleveland and then a brief stop in Milwaukee. I dunno. CC was never really underrated in my leagues.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:21am
Check out this site for early SP rankings. Verlander # 2 and CC # 22. Same as always. We all take Verlander but he is not that much better like it shows over 7 years. That is the same respect he has always got in my league. I kept him for all 5 years in my keeper league before we redrafted for this reason. Guys like Johan and Halladay got huge value and I got half that value in trade talks for CC. So I kept him the entire time.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 4:22am
I will probably have CC around my 9th or 10th SP.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by LABLUE

Check out this site for early SP rankings. Verlander # 2 and CC # 22. Same as always. We all take Verlander but he is not that much better like it shows over 7 years. That is the same respect he has always got in my league. I kept him for all 5 years in my keeper league before we redrafted for this reason. Guys like Johan and Halladay got huge value and I got half that value in trade talks for CC. So I kept him the entire time.

I hear that. I had some trade talks and included CC in a few multi-player deals. I got a couple, "not interested in CC" responses and one, "I've been burned by CC in the past..." My response was, "Man, you can hold a grudge. He hasn't had a sub-par season in 8 years!"

Just as you did, I decided it is much better to keep him and enjoy the stats.
Jwalk100 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote Jwalk100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2013 at 11:34am
Wow, thanks for the info. i actually had no idea that their stats were so similar.
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.094 seconds.