Login: Sign up now! or
call 888-201-3057
| Help | Why Subscribe?
Yahoo! SportsFoxSportsESPN
HOME NFL MLB / Minors NBA NHL GOLF RACING NCAAF NCAAB MORE...    BLOGS MYROTOWIRE ASK AN EXPERT WIRELESS
  Mock Drafts | Baseball Commissioner | Football Commissioner | More
Search for Player:      
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Keepers-

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
andy_1_53050 View Drop Down

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keepers-
    Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 9:26am
I'm having a tough time deciding who to keep. I am planning on keeping Posey, A. Gonzalez,Cano,Zimmerman,Braun,Ellsbury and Kershaw.  I need to pick two of these three that I have left though.  CC Sabathia, Matt Latos, and Jason Motte.  I also have the #3 pick in the draft. Some of the players available there are James Shields, Aramis Ramirez, Rafael Soriano, Shane Victorino, and RA Dickey. Right now I'm thinking about keeping Sabathia and Latos and then draft either Motte, Soriano, or Shields.  What do you guys think?

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 9:48am
I also have Hanley Ramirez that will be kept.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 10:56am
I never keep closers unless it's a league where you keep 20 or more players. The position is far too volatile. I even avoid drafting them in round 1.  I would definitely keep Sabathia and Latos.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:13pm
Sabathia and Motte.

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:15pm
Is no one concerned about Sabathia's elbow and arm? He's had a ton of innings on that arm.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:20pm
He is still going strong. Fat guys stay healthier hen steroid guys.

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:29pm
I'm still leaning towards keeping Sabathia and Latos. Right now the top closers available to draft are Motte (if I don't keep him), Rodney, Rivera, Axford, Soriano, and Hanrahan. I think that I will be able to draft a closer later, or if needed I think I can trade for one in season. This league is also a head to head league.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:38pm
If you only want one closer then I keep Latos. I like to have 3-5 of them.

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 12:47pm
I always like to have 2 or 3. I think it's highly probable that Motte will slide to my #3 pick though. Then I would be left with a decision of Motte, Aramis Ramirez or Shields? It would be hard to pass up Aramis Ramirez in the draft.
wolverineca View Drop Down

Quote wolverineca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 9:06pm
Something to think about, what does the history of the league dictate and who do you expect your opponents to keep?

If closers regularly go first or second round then you'll want to keep Motte or pick him up at #3.  If closers are typically 3rd round or more you can probably gamble and leave him until your second or third round.

I find that guys drop players in deep positions (OF or SP) and keep good players in shallow positions (2nd or SS).

It's not a question that can easily be answered because we can't see the bigger picture surrounding your draft.

Personally I would not keep a closer just because closers do not have a tendancy to repeat the same performance from year to year.  Stats can be similar but never seem to be as good.  They go later in drafts and there always seems to be a quality closer waiting to be picked up.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2013 at 9:21pm
I'd drop the closer and draft closers-in-waiting; Jansen, Robertson, Storen, Parnell, Santos, David Hernandez,etc. They come cheap and offer great ERA, WHIP, K/9, and the occasional win. 2 or 3 will end up being closers, and get you into the middle of the pack in saves. I hate wasting early picks/ keepers on closers. I took Keith Foulke in the first round (after 5 keepers) for his second season in Boston, expecting another stellar season. What I got was a 5.91 ERA, 1.55 WHIP, 34 K and 15 saves. He was a top-notch, can't miss closer! The only thing he did was teach me to be very wary of closers.

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:33pm
I might try to trade cc for the 4th or 5th round pick. I could then keep Motte and draft either Shields or Dickey with my #3 pick and get either Aramis Ramirez or Rafael Soriano with the extra pick I would acquire from cc. Do you like that move or do you think cc is too valuable to move? If I can do that I like that. I tried moving cc for the #1 or 2 picks but I couldn't get anything done.

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:34pm
That is 4th or 5th pick in the 1st round. I messed up there.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:48pm
CC is one of those guys that everybody shies away from in the off-season and then he puts up his usual greatness, and his stock goes through the roof. I would not get rid of him right now. Everybody is worried about his health (as usual) and the reports of limiting his workload. It's a bad time to move him.

He's had 6 straight 200 inning seasons. He's had 3 seasons of 197 K's during that stretch and seasons of 209, 230 and 250K. His WHIP is almost always in the 1.17 range, and he's won 110 games over the past 6 seasons. You don't get more reliable than that.

Do yourself a favor and ignore the negative talk about him.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 4:49pm
By the way, he's only 32 years old, and despite his massive frame, he's durable. I also heard that he's dropped over 20 pounds this off season. 

Quote andy_1_53050 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:48pm
Do you think that Cc is that much better than Shields or Dickey? I kind of think cc is very close to equal of Shields. If I traded cc it would basically be like a trade of cc for Motte and Shields or Dickey because I have the #3 pick. With the #4 or #5 pick I could take a batter or pitcher. I know cc does have the greatest possible ability probably.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 5:55pm
I don't trust Shields. Last 4 ERA's are 4.147, 5.185, 2.818, and 3.526. Which one will show up? He's on a new team, so it could be better, but it could be worse.

Dickey's on a new team as well, in a much better hitting environment.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2013 at 10:29pm
Keep CC. I hate Dickey this year in the AL East. 4.50+ era. I do like Shields since he has averaged about 223 k's the past two years.
 Post Reply Post Reply