RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Andrelton Simmons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Andrelton Simmons
    Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:16pm
Has anyone read the 2013 outlook for Simmons? It compares him to Tyler Pastornicky, and says the following, "His defense is MLB-caliber already, though not as good as Pastornicky's."

Seriously? This guy is a wiz with the glove, and put up a .987 fpct, which obliterated Pastornicky's .948 mark.  According to baseball reference, his Total Zone Runs Fielding was 16 runs ABOVE average. Pastornicky's was 11 runs BELOW average.

I just don't get it. Not that it matters much for fantasy, except that Simmons will keep the job based on his defense alone...

Oh, and if you want to get your new CBS League at 50% off, you can use my referral at http://cbssports.com/ref/46718070 

You get the league for 89.95 and I get a referral check. So, let's stick it to CBS!  Clap

Edited by lvtdude - 02 Feb 2013 at 2:34pm
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:33pm
I only have him on my radar in my 20 team league.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:41pm
He's projected to lead off for the Braves. He should score a lot of runs and probably will swipe 20 bases. I think his average will be on the better side of .270, but his downside is obviously a lack of power. He hit 3 taters in 166 AB, so in a full season, we're looking at 10 or so.

I think he's worth a late pick in 12 teamers, and will fill a MI position nicely.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:50pm
I have him hitting about 270 with 5 hr's and 50 rbi with 70 runs and 10 sb's. Somewhere around my 20th ranked SS. I think he is removed at some point from batting 1st to batting 8th this year if he even gets the leadoff job to start. I will take him as my late MI in my 20 teamer.

I have the first pick so will take Braun or Trout so wont get a great MI this year.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 9:58pm
That must hurt. I know how you like your MI's. 
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:02pm
I MIGHT TRADE DOWN TO THE 4TH PICK AND GRAB CANO AGAIN.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 10:02pm
Damn caps.
STEELCITY10 View Drop Down

Quote STEELCITY10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2013 at 11:48pm
LVT I agree with you on SImmons.He is on a good ball club should hit around 10hrs steal 20-25 and score say 75-80 runs and fills a thin position.If you lose out on the top options he is a good guy to grab.
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 6:23am
Bill James thinks highly of him with his predictions
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2013 at 12:23pm
I think 75-80 runs is a very conservative projection atop that lineup. Although, I'm expecting close to 600 AB...
bowanb View Drop Down

Quote bowanb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2013 at 1:37pm
Had him last yr in H2H.  VERY good player, doesn't make mistakes.  Solid points every week.  Not a superstar but a great player to have as a MI.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2013 at 8:28pm
My view is Simmons is already an over hyped darling at the position. Especially in NL only leagues. 1st thing is Simmons has only average speed and is not a good base stealer. Nothing he has ever done in the minors or what he did in his short stint in the bigs last year could invite you to think he will steal bases. Simmons will bat 7th or 8th not at the top of the order. Love his defense but that isn't roto helpful.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:18pm
Fredi Gonzalez, the manager of the Braves, who knows a bit more about the Braves than PennMan, suggested this lineup...

SS Andrelton Simmons
RF Jason Heyward
LF Justin Upton
C Brian McCann
CF B.J. Upton
1B Freddie Freeman or 2B Dan Uggla
2B Dan Uggla or 1B Freddie Freeman
3B Chris Johnson or Juan Francisco

http://mlb.si.com/2013/01/24/justin-upton-bj-upton-atlanta-braves-fredi-gonzalez/
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:20pm
The Atlanta Journal Constitution projects Simmons as the lead-off guy , as well.

http://www.ajc.com/gallery/sports/baseball/braves-projected-batting-order-2013/g7cq/#3050114
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 1:43pm
Now that I'm done relaying what others have said, here's my take on Simmons leading off, and yes, stealing bases.  Maybe he isn't a burner, but he stole 26 bases in a full season of A ball. He got caught quite a bit; 18 times. The following season, apparently after being coached by professionals, and actually LEARNING like people sometimes do, he went to AA and stole 10 of 12 bases (83%) in only 174 AB's, before being promoted to the majors. If he had stayed at AA, he would have finished with about 30 steals in 36 attempts. That's pretty good.

As for leading off, his minor league OBP's got better at each stop along the way. .340 in rookie ball, .351 in A ball, to .372 in AA.  Even in the majors, he had a respectable .335 and only struck out once every 8 at bats. He hit .289, which is right in line with his .298 career minor league mark.

I think the signs point to him being quite successful at the major league level. He competed quite well as a 22 year old, and should only get better.

Maybe Pennman is right in his assumptions, but I think he is wrong. Come October, we can revisit this, and see who was correct.
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 2:34pm
Guys, I don't know about you but the scouting reports I've read on Simmons about his speed see him as average speed on the bases. Couple that with nothing special stolen bases in the minors and you don't get a 20 SB guy. If he had done that at the MLB level it would be much different.

Even a guy with above average speed doesn't figure to steal 20 at the MLB level unless he is a good base stealer which Simmons has proven not to be.
* There are slugs that steal 26 bases in 131 games in A ball. 26 steals in 44 attempts spells stop sign in the majors so I won't make a mistake of expecting SB's from him. Going 10 for 12 at AA doens't project to anything we can really figure. Way to small a sample size and from what I read he learned nothing about how to steal at the AA level that is easy for bandits to rip off bases.

Simmons strength at the plate is an ability to turn on fastballs with quick power. By the way he doesn't walk much. Not a great leadoff hitter quality!

While anything is possible I'll expect more HR's than SB's and not a big total in either in 2013.

* If what Mgr. Freddie Gonzalez fantasized about in an off the cuff remark to the local paper is in fact the opening day lineup the stats I see just don't give confidence to me it will last for Simmons in the SB department or at the top of the order. How does it figure to Heyward and both Uptons and not be considering one of them at the top spot? Because it's so convenient to think of Simmons at the top with those guys and Freeman,McCann,Uggla aside that only Simmons can be in the leadoff spot?

With both Uptons who who have speed and are seasonsed and B.J. Might do well in a protected #1 spot in that order and is a proven base stealer there may be more options.

My take is Simmons like most his age figure to be moved around the lineup no matter where he starts on opening day.

*Think Zack Cozart who stole 30 and was caught 4 times in AAA in 2010. Last year he stole how many?

I'm just saying, with Simmons he has never shown anything that indicates he is a speed guy and we can't assume the MLB pitchers don't adjust to him better than he adjusts to them at the plate either.

Ballew of Baseball America writes the following:

Simmons is a premier defender with a cannon for an arm and soft, quick hands. He covers lots of real estate with his quickness, ability to charge the ball and feel for the position. He committed careless errors by trying to make every play early in 2011 but improved in that regard. An aggressive hitter, Simmons knows the strike zone but doesn't walk much. He has bat speed and can turn on fastballs, but he won't have more than gap power. An average runner, he needs to improve his reads and jumps after getting thrown out 18 times in 44 basestealing attempts.

Edited by PennMan - 02 Feb 2013 at 3:13pm
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 2:49pm
He did improve his reads after the 2011 season to go 10 for 12 at the AA level. You are disregarding that.
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 2:53pm
As for the stealing issue, I watched a below average speed guy, named Bobby Higginson, steal 20 bases for the Detroit Tigers...at age 30, and he wasn't leading off.  If Simmons leads off as projected, and he continues to learn like he did in AA, (he is only 23 years old) I see no reason why he can't steal 20. 

Edited by lvtdude - 02 Feb 2013 at 2:53pm
PennMan View Drop Down

Quote PennMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 3:46pm
I'm not disregarding the pattern of players like Zach Cozart and Steve Lombardozzi that are very good examples of players that had as good and actually better minor league SB accomplishments as compared to Simmons. Neither stole 10 their 1st year. Look them both over. 12 and 2 at AA for Simmons plus the average speed isn't making me look for 20 SBs out of him.

It is the rare, very rare, player that isn't a good base stealer in the minors that is an effective base stealer early in the majors. Bobby Higgenson is a really good example that was brought up. He was awful in the minors as a base stealer and no better in the majors. The 1 year he stole 20 bases for Detroit he got caught 12 times. What are the chances the Braves will be accepting that from a leadoff guy who almost never walks?
lvtdude View Drop Down

Quote lvtdude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2013 at 3:57pm
It doesn't matter if he walks or gets a single, if he gets on at a decent rate. The best part of this is that neither of us is correct...yet. I won't convince you. You won't convince me. That, as they say, is why they play the games.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.