RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Basketball Noob - any advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Qstar View Drop Down

Quote Qstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Basketball Noob - any advice
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 12:00pm
Hey everyone,

I am the text-book definition of a noob when it comes to fantasy basketball. I normally play fantasy hockey, baseball and football - but have never played fantasy bball or watch too many games.

I am joining my first basketball pool and am in need of ANY and all advice.

League setup:
10 team roto - auction (I'm somewhat worried by the auction factor since I have more fingers than player names that I know)
PG, PG, SG, SG, SF, SF, PF, PF, C, C + 5 bench
Pts, Blk, Stl, Ast, Reb, 3PM, DD

Help!!

Many thanks.
kylemckeown16 View Drop Down

Quote kylemckeown16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 12:57pm
Qstar - Patience is rule #1 in auctions.

- Patience
- Have a good value cheat sheet to reference and work from. The values from the site you'll be drafting on aren't always the best thing to follow as they may not reflect settings of your league. 
- Where you can really find value is in the guys that you know other people hate.
- For some reason, people always undervalue guys like Monta Ellis who aren't personable.

I would get into some auction mocks (at least 2-3) before you do yours. Get comfortable. The worst thing you can do in an auction is panic, get too attached to a given player, etc.

We'll have a Draft Strategy article posted to the draft kit in the next day, too.

Here's the Auction section from that.
AUCTION DRAFT
Another type of draft is an auction in which teams are allocated a
salary cap to choose players. In this format, owners bid numeric values
on players with the highest bid winning the player. The auction
continues until each team has filled its roster.
Auction Draft Strategy: The most common auction strategies are a
“value strategy” and “stars and scrubs.” In the former strategy, an
owner shops for undervalued players, hoping this will give him more
bang for his buck across his roster. Typically, an owner looking for
value will wait to bid on players as other owners overspend. This will
leave him with extra money later in the auction to win players and find
bargains. In the “stars and scrubs” strategy, an owner spends freely to
stock his team with a few dominant players (stars) and then adds
serviceable players later in the draft (scrubs) with his limited remaining
dollars. In either strategy, it’s important to manage your budget well
and to know the NBA player pool as well as possible.

Good luck!

Kyle McKeown
NBA Editor
kyle@rotowire.com
Qstar View Drop Down

Quote Qstar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 1:10pm
Thanks Kyle. I look forward to reading the draft strategy article.

Both my baseball and hockey drafts are auctions so I have multi-seasons of experience in them - I tend to follow the value strategy in roto-pools and use a modified value-based stars and scrubs in head to head ones.
dharvey34 View Drop Down

Quote dharvey34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2012 at 8:46pm
Long-time subscriber, first time poster (don't let the Newbie tag fool you).
Clearly Kyle is an expert, and Rotowire does a good job of keeping you up to date on fantasy basketball news. The draft kit is especially helpful.

My best advice (considering you have experience in other sports) is that basketball is, in my opinion, the simplest of the 4 major sports to predict player performances. You tend to get the average stats of a player night in and night out. If a guy averages 8 rebounds a game, you'll probably get 8 X 81 rebounds if he plays every game.

What really seems to matter in hoops is playing time and the kind of philosophy the team the player is on follows. If a player is on the bench but has decent ability and the guy in front of him goes down - grab him! He'll get the stats if he gets the time on the floor.

If a team plays up tempo, even the guys off the bench are going to rack up the stats - if they prefer to isolate a star player and let him go 1-on-1 a lot (think Kobe) then that will impact the stats of other players siginificantly.

So headed into the draft do some research (Rotowire will be a tremendous help in this) and look for guys who are behind an injury-prone or otherwise suspect player on the depth chart; spend what you need to get the stars then fill in with some of these guys at the end of the auction.When trying to choose between similar players, look at the type of team they are on - if you want your PG to get lots of assists, take the guy on the up-tempo team, even better if you can get that player cheaper than the other choice - you'll probalby see an up-tick in per game assists for your guy, while your opponent is dealing with lower production for a higher price.

Good luck - I love fantasy hoops!

Edited by dharvey34 - 07 Oct 2012 at 8:47pm
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.