RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Can I punt saves and win?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
OldSoul View Drop Down

Quote OldSoul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Can I punt saves and win?
    Posted: 27 Feb 2017 at 5:48am
I have punted twice and finished 2nd and 8th

It is so hard if you ask me. You need to have 4 stud P and a couple good ones. Be a good streamer

I do not think it is worth it

Try to land 1 stud closer , a mediocre one and play the waiver game, so much easier
XSHEAT View Drop Down

Quote XSHEAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2017 at 4:33pm
While it wasn't really part of my original strategy, two out of the three times I won my 12 team NL only 5x5 roto league, I finished 11th out of 12 in the saves category. At some point during the year, it did become my strategy. Completely agree with astrofanatic's point though, you do have to hit big on your other guys. I am not sure I would recommend it, and would say it's unlikely...but possible.
astrosfanatic View Drop Down

Quote astrosfanatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:43pm
Originally posted by LABLUE

I have never lost a league to someone that tanked a catergory. It is easy to find cheap saves later so dont spend good money on them but still go for them. Half will lose their jobs which means many pick ups can help you. Grab the next in line guys before they the real closer loses his job. Don't wait for rotowire to post that he has lost his job..You can usually see it coming weeks ahead.

^^^^this is great advice. never punt a category in a league you want to win. If making the top 3 is your goal, I have seen that done. However, I have never seen a punting team win a league. It is technically possible, but you would have to hit big on every other guy. And the strategy wouldnt land you another big fish since most closers go after round 5. It would just get you an extra pick or two in the middling rounds which can be helpful, but you HAVE TO hit with those "extra" picks. It's just not likely, and thus rarely fruitful.
bork96 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote bork96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2017 at 6:01am
If it was head to head, you can most definetly punt saves. But, you can't punt a category in rotisserie and win. You must be competitive in all of the categories if you want to win.
Raging on Roids View Drop Down

Quote Raging on Roids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:55pm
You won't lose by punting the category, but RP's can help with your ratios. Paying for starters and punting saves might sound like a good idea, but keep in mind that wins are hard to predict and a few bad outings could hurt your ratios.The only category that you will finish on top would be strikeouts.
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 2:34pm
I have never lost a league to someone that tanked a catergory. It is easy to find cheap saves later so dont spend good money on them but still go for them. Half will lose their jobs which means many pick ups can help you. Grab the next in line guys before they the real closer loses his job. Don't wait for rotowire to post that he has lost his job..You can usually see it coming weeks ahead.
franchetti76 View Drop Down

Quote franchetti76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:26am
Given that most closers help in only one category, and the relative unreliability of closers in general, is it possible to take the auction $ allocated to closers, dedicate those auction $$ instead to good starters, and win my 5X5 roto league by using those auction $$ to bolster the four non-save categories? Have any of you won using this strategy?
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.