RotoWire Partners
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar

Mid season risky closers?????

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mid season risky closers?????
    Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 9:08am
How do you adjust your closer rankings when it comes to players that might get moved in a trade a the deadline and become set up me and lose alot of their value? Few guys I put a little bit lower on my rankings....

C. Cordero
J. Accardo
K. Gregg
M. Capps

Edited by LABLUE - 14 Feb 2008 at 9:27am
rshale View Drop Down

Quote rshale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 10:03am
That's a good question.  I like your initial list - with perhaps the exception of Capps.

I'd say you'd have to consider adding the following guys to that list as well:

Huston Street - fairly likely to be traded, but also likely to supplant a closer rather than becoming a setup man
Joe Nathan - same as Street, decent bet to be dealt, but should remain a closer.

--------
My Blog:  rotoadvantage.blogspot.com
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 10:10am
I was thinking of adding those two alos but they are elite closers and not sure they will be dealt even though their teams might stink this year.  Also why not Capps? He has only been a closer for half of a season and he plays for a bad team. If he does a good job then he is the perfect type of closer to get dealt to a contender to be a set up guy at the deadline IMO.
vtadave View Drop Down

Quote vtadave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 11:01am
Accardo may not even open the year as the closer if you believe the B.J. Ryan news (though it's hard to believe any injury-related news out of Toronto).

I'd also add Isringhausen.  Last year of his deal and the Cardinals don't have the horses to compete this year. He'd fetch a prospect or two at the deadline should the Cards go into sell mode.
rshale View Drop Down

Quote rshale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 11:27am

Valid point on Capps.  However, I believe that no matter how well Capps might pitch this season, he's unlikely to be dealt as the new Pirates front-office is going to need to show commitment to a guy that age performing at that level to try to get rid of the 'constant rebuilding' mode that has the Pirate fans agitated.  Plus, there should be enough supply on the reliever trade market to keep any offer for Capps below what the Pirates would need to justify the move.

-----
My Blog: rotoadvantage.blogspot.com
LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 12:05pm
rshale....You make too much sense....Thats why the Pirates will deal him. They are run like crap.
billgoofnow View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Quote billgoofnow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2008 at 10:31am
I gotta say,

As a pirates fan (which is pathetic I know har har), I wish you were in my NL only league so I could steal Capps from you. He's our closer this year - period.

The only reason he won't be our closer at any point during the 2008 season is if he gets hurt.

Going down the ranks of NL closers - I'd even rank him in the top 5 or 6 most valuable

Wagner
Saito
Hoffman
Izzy
Valverde perhaps
Cordero perhaps

LABLUE View Drop Down

Quote LABLUE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2008 at 11:26am
I have Capps as my 18th-20th closer on my draft board.

Edited by LABLUE - 16 Feb 2008 at 11:27am
 Post Reply Post Reply

Forum Permissions View Drop Down

This page was generated in 0.047 seconds.