Rebound & Rant: New T-Wolves Logo

Rebound & Rant: New T-Wolves Logo

This article is part of our Rebound & Rant series.

(Warning: this column completely lacks any fantasy basketball advice)

I was struggling for an R&R topic today, when the Minnesota Timberwolves decided to drop this "news:"

Wow, a four minute video going through the mediocre history of hoops in Minnesota, just to introduce a poorly designed new logo. But I'll confess, I kinda get into these things. Below are my pro and con thoughts on this, but PLEASE add your own opinions below.

Why This Is Wrong

At first glance, multiple RW staffers said "it looks like a bad SB Nation blog logo," which is true. And apparently, SB Nation agrees:

There are way too many "new" circular logos in the NBA: Wizards, Hawks, Mavs, Clippers and Raptors. The Celtics, Lakers, Pistons, 76ers and maybe the Warriors relatively new retro logo legitimately own the circle space. There is not room for more.

The other unacceptable aspect of this new logo is the neon green. The Seattle Seahawks own this horrendous color.

I'm old, neon is wrong. The Hawks own ugly neon yellow – isn't that enough ugly for the NBA?

Also, does it really take three rappers to introduce one ugly logo?

Finally, if you're going to give in and go circular, why not bring back the classic "Old Shep" logo?

Why This Is Right

First and foremost, Minnesota owns the five-champion George Mikan era Lakers, NOT LA. In fact, the Lakers name in LA is as stupid as the Jazz name in Utah. For you youngsters, Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes. Mikan was a BEAST. The guy had career averages of 23.1 points, 13.4 rebounds and probably 2 blocks per game (blocks were not an official stat in the 40's and 50's), per Basketball Reference.

Second, I love it when any team celebrates there past. Who doesn't enjoy this video's Pooh Rich and Coach Muss reference? Googali-oogali-OTTA! I can watch that stuff over and over. Why not fly in KG for the announcement? And how about adding some of Sam Cassell's big ball dance? By the way, here's the classic origin of said dance:

My apologies for the lack of fantasy advice here, kiddos. I'll try to come up with something meaningful for my next playoff piece.

RotoWire Community
Join Our Subscriber-Only NBA Chat
Chat with our writers and other RotoWire NBA fans for all the pre-game info and in-game banter.
Join The Discussion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Ken
An early RotoWire contributor from the 90's, K-Train returns with the grace of Gheorghe Muresan and the wisdom of Joe Gibbs. Ken is a two-time FSWA award winner and a co-host on the RW NBA Podcast. Championships incude: 2016 RW Staff NBA Keeper, 2019 RW Staff NFL Ottoneu Keeper, 2022-23 SiriusXM NBA Experts, 2022-23 SiriusXM NBA Kamla Keeper and 2023-24 FSGA NBA Expert Champions. Ken still owns a RotoNews shirt.
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, April 17
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, April 17
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Wednesday's Play-In Games
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Wednesday's Play-In Games
Yahoo DFS Basketball: Who to Play, Who to Avoid for Wednesday's Play-In Games
Yahoo DFS Basketball: Who to Play, Who to Avoid for Wednesday's Play-In Games
NBA DFS Picks: FanDuel Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, April 17
NBA DFS Picks: FanDuel Plays and Strategy for Wednesday, April 17
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Monday, April 16 - Play-In Tournament
NBA DFS Picks: DraftKings Plays and Strategy for Monday, April 16 - Play-In Tournament
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Tuesday's Play-In Games
Free NBA Picks Today: Best Bets for Tuesday's Play-In Games