Mound Musings: Revisiting My 2017 “Home” League Mound Corps

Mound Musings: Revisiting My 2017 “Home” League Mound Corps

This article is part of our Mound Musings series.

Back on Opening Day (or actually just a couple of days after) I broke down the pitching staff I went to war with this year in my "home" league – a fantasy league I have been competing in for 27 seasons. I thought it might be interesting to revisit my staff to look at the additions, subtractions and evolution of roles as the season progresses. Staff management is critical, and this year, as much as any I can remember, it has been incredibly challenging with so many injuries to key pitchers. Keep in mind, I roster pitchers with pretty specific expectations, assigning an arbitrary "tier" to each pitcher and then basing performance on the pitchers serving in that spot for my competition. In other words, how does my "SP3" compare to the pitchers I see in that spot on other teams. In the assessment below, the pitcher in each slot will also have a current slot since they change as the roster changes. I hope it helps readers understand how I build a staff. Overall, given the staff-crippling injuries, the results to date have been mixed.

A little background:

Here are the general parameters of the league for reference. With 15 teams, it's a mixed league keeper with deep rosters (33 players per team with no minor league or disabled list slots). Standard scoring categories, five hitting and five pitching, with a lineup consisting of 12 hitters and nine pitchers (with a minimum of five qualified starting pitchers and two

Back on Opening Day (or actually just a couple of days after) I broke down the pitching staff I went to war with this year in my "home" league – a fantasy league I have been competing in for 27 seasons. I thought it might be interesting to revisit my staff to look at the additions, subtractions and evolution of roles as the season progresses. Staff management is critical, and this year, as much as any I can remember, it has been incredibly challenging with so many injuries to key pitchers. Keep in mind, I roster pitchers with pretty specific expectations, assigning an arbitrary "tier" to each pitcher and then basing performance on the pitchers serving in that spot for my competition. In other words, how does my "SP3" compare to the pitchers I see in that spot on other teams. In the assessment below, the pitcher in each slot will also have a current slot since they change as the roster changes. I hope it helps readers understand how I build a staff. Overall, given the staff-crippling injuries, the results to date have been mixed.

A little background:

Here are the general parameters of the league for reference. With 15 teams, it's a mixed league keeper with deep rosters (33 players per team with no minor league or disabled list slots). Standard scoring categories, five hitting and five pitching, with a lineup consisting of 12 hitters and nine pitchers (with a minimum of five qualified starting pitchers and two qualified relief pitchers). One thing that makes roster management more challenging – picking up a free agent requires a "move" usually from a player being sent down or put on the disabled list. You can then release that player and pick up someone on the waiver wire (order is determined by reverse order of the current standings). Since you probably won't want to cut a key player who goes on the DL for a short time, you really need versatility and some productivity on your bench.

So, let's look at my pitching staff, and the changes, as we head into June:

• Was SP1a, now SPDL – Noah Syndergaard He went on the disabled list in April for what could be two or three months. Losing Thor was obviously devastating, but even more difficult to overcome is the domino effect on the other pitchers who will now have to move up to higher tiers. My goal now is to hope for a full recovery and hope for a return before the projected date. He simply can't be replaced, so you just try to shuffle the deck and hope you stay in the game.

• Was SP1b, now SP1 – Yu Darvish It might seem a bit unfair to say a pitcher with five wins, a 1.15 WHIP, a 2.83 ERA and 68 strikeouts in 64 innings an early-season disappointment, but that fact underscores my assessment of his skills. The velocity is there (actually higher than it has been since he arrived from Japan), the movement on his pitches is, at times, almost unbelievable, and he continues to show how devastating he can be when he gets into a jam. There's the rub. Too many jams and too many pitches have occasionally looked like a highwire act. In his last start, he needed 105 pitches to complete five innings. The end result wasn't bad, but shorter outings could eventually cost him wins and strikeouts while negatively impacting his WHIP. I remain supremely confident.

• Was SP3, now SP2 – Marcus StromanHe has been a solid contributor, albeit considering his peripherals, to be a two might be wishful thinking. Stroman isn't a big strikeout pitcher, and he has been a little unlucky in allowing balls to sneak through for base hits. The big plus to his performance is his extreme groundball tendencies. He keeps the ball down – very helpful in his home run happy home ballpark – and those ground balls have really helped him get out of jams. I'd feel better with the top of the rotation pitchers back so he can be dropped down into more of a middle-of-the-rotation slot, but I'm glad he's holding his own.

• Was SP4, now SP3 – Kevin Gausman It won't be surprising to anyone when I say Gausman has been, by far, the biggest disappointment to date. And, despite his struggles, he is having to shoulder a bigger load for me with so many pitchers out of action. Readers have asked if there is an injury involved, but I really don't think so. His velocity is there, but his command is erratic. A few pitches are wicked, then a couple show nothing. One inning dominating, then an inning with no location or snap. Be aware, I'm less forgiving with pitchers I like, so when I say he is showing very clear signs of getting things together, I say so with a critical eye. It's coming slowly, but I do believe it's coming.

• Was SP5, now SPDL – Jameson Taillon This one had to be as disheartening as the Syndergaard injury if only because in the overall scheme of things, it's much more concerning for Taillon, his family and his friends. He struggled in a couple of starts before going on the DL in early May with groin discomfort. Two days later he underwent surgery for testicular cancer. Yes, I would love to see him back pitching for my fantasy team, mostly because it could mean he's on his way to a full recovery. There is currently no timetable for a return.

• Was SP6, now RELEASED – Garrett Richards Richards was slotted into the SP6 hole fully aware of the injury risk that made it impractical to slot him any higher despite his upside when healthy. He looked fantastic, for four and two thirds innings of his first start before leaving the game with a new injury. I really wanted to hold onto him and wait it out, but I grudgingly released him based on injury history, and he still has no timetable for a return.

FLEX – this could be a SP7 or RP3 but I will focus on the starters –

• Was SP7, now SP5 – Patrick Corbin I had high hopes for Corbin entering the season and was extremely happy to have him as one of my flex starters to fill in when necessary and then hopefully move up to a higher tier as the year progressed. I didn't plan for him to be in the set six-man main rotation, but injuries forced my hand. His peripherals have been fairly pedestrian early on, but his stuff and approach have been impressive. I think he'll end up being solid in this slot as he settles into a more consistent game, but I really wish they would leave that roof closed when he pitches at home.

• Was SP7, now SP6 – Charlie MortonThe second of my key depth pitchers, but like Corbin, he's now being counted upon to fill an every week rotation slot. Morton somehow (legitimately) found the fountain of velocity, and at age 33 he's both healthy and has added about four miles per hour to his fastball (averaging 95.5 mph). Too many hits and a few too many walks have hurt me in my 2017 Achilles heel (WHIP), but the strikeouts have been nice, and a little better command could be a big boost, especially since it could get him deeper into games. His home ballpark isn't ideal, but he pitches in front of a potent offense, and wins could be plentiful as he keeps the Astros in games.

• Was SP7, now SPDL Brandon FinneganI have liked his stuff for a long time but he seemed best suited to a backup role and spot starter while he refined his sometimes spotty command. Then, in his first start of the season, Dr. Jeckyll dazzled the competition in a truly dominant outing. Unfortunately, Mr. Hyde made his next start, and it looked like the collapse of western civilization. One ugly inning into his third start, he was pulled and off to the DL with a strained shoulder. Was the first start an anomaly? Were the subsequent starts impacted by the injury? It's hard to say. We'll hope for a mid-June return and see.

• Was SP7, now SP7 Amir Garrett – Garrett was drafted as a project. He was deep enough on the depth chart to assure he was only used in favorable match-ups, if then. Or so I thought. Four major injuries later, he was on the mound for me way too regularly. I really like his upside, but clearly he's not ready for the show, especially when it comes to keeping the ball in the park, which has been problematic. With Syndergaard, Taillon and even Finnegan not expected back very soon, my next objective will be finding an alternative to Garrett.

ADDITIONS – pitchers added to the roster since Opening Day –

• Was SPDL, now SP4 – Aaron Nola In this league, competent pitching rarely appears on the waiver wire, and, when it does, a feeding frenzy often ensues. Nola struggled the second half of last season, and early this year before hitting the DL. I really like him when he's healthy (I thought he was the best arm in his draft class), and he profiles as a solid, workhorse if he stays out of the trainer's room. I scrambled to put myself in a position to pick him up when he surprisingly hit the waiver wire, and if I have a very successful season, I'm willing to bet this May acquisition will be a huge part of it. I'm optimistic.

• Was SP/RP, now RP3 – Archie Bradley He's the definition of the "do no harm" principle that I often promote. When my staff dwindled to barely enough arms to fill my lineup, I had the choice of adding a quality pitcher who might relieve, might even close at some point or could start (even though that would be a worrisome turn of events for Bradley), or pick up a risky waiver wire starter with a serious likelihood of destroying my WHIP and ERA in short order. I opted for acquiring Bradley to tread water while my starting staff hopefully gets healthy. Perhaps he'll vulture an occasional win, add a few strikeouts and do no harm.

• Was SPNR, now SPNR – Shohei Otani In this league, it's important to keep the pipeline full of inexpensive, but high-quality, talent. To accomplish that, I try to reserve a couple of roster spots for the future. Otani pitches for the Nippon Ham Fighters in Japan and he is ace material. He's just 22 but he's already been recognized as the best pitcher outside the majors with his blazing 102 mph fastball and a full menu of excellent secondary pitches. He surprised everyone in April when he announced he would come to MLB in 2018. I couldn't resist.

Some Notable Rotation Ramblings:

• The Yankees' Masahiro Tanaka has taken it upon himself to remind us what can happen when a pitcher who relies on movement and keeping the ball down in the zone loses his touch. He doesn't seem to be staying on top of the ball, and his pitches are flattening out. He'll adjust, but it could be rough in the interim.

• The Dodgers sent young Julio Urias to Triple-A Oklahoma City after another shaky start last weekend. Urias has compiled a disappointing 5.40 ERA with a terrible 11:14 K:BB ratio. Owners, at least in keeper leagues, shouldn't panic. He's still the real deal and he'll be back. It's easy to forget how young he is.

• I'd like to be able to can Alex Meyer's stuff and sell it. The tall (6'9") Angels' righty can be just electric, but his command and release point are reminiscent of Hall-of-Famer Randy Johnson early in his career. I still can't recommend using him in your rotation, but I'll continue to suggest you keep an eye on him.

• Last year, Milwaukee's Junior Guerra received a lot of hype when he got off to a good start. I was highly skeptical then and I remain skeptical now. It should be noted that Guerra went undrafted in my 15-team home league. He's expected to return this week from a calf strain, but I'll stay away when he does.

• How bad have the injuries been this season? Ask the Seattle Mariners. The devastated staff currently is lead by competent fifth starter Ariel Miranda. He's potentially viable for deep and AL-only leagues, but he would be challenged to match up with the fifth or sixth starters in most fantasy rotations.

• Even though I admit feeling a little like a baserunner just edging off of first base against a pitcher with a great move, I went out and acquired Stephen Strasburg in one of my leagues. The price was HIGH, but the last few times I have watched him, I have sensed that he's starting to feel it again. Stay healthy, my friend.

Endgame Odyssey:

There have been quiet rumblings in fantasy circles about Ken Giles in Houston, but he has been reliable in save situations and is likely secure in the job. And then there is San Diego where Brandon Maurer has hit a rough stretch. He looked rusty the other night and I think his biggest problem could be too many, "he needs an inning of work" outings and not enough save chances. That is probably going to be an ongoing problem. Then, in an interesting turn of events, on Wednesday, Maurer pitched a clean eighth inning while lefty Brad Hand was asked to close the ninth. Hand loaded the bases with no outs before wriggling out of it, but I don't think we've read the last chapter here. Don't be surprised if Edwin Diaz is back closing full time in Seattle fairly soon. That's the plan. If you were wondering, Greg Holland is back. The Rockies closer (now 19-for-19 in save chances) is a big reason Colorado – and his fantasy teams – are winning. It looks like the Nationals are going to give Koda Glover a chance to serve as their primary closer. He's their best internal option but he may need to string a few successful outings together to solidify his hold on the gig.

Want to Read More?
Subscribe to RotoWire to see the full article.

We reserve some of our best content for our paid subscribers. Plus, if you choose to subscribe you can discuss this article with the author and the rest of the RotoWire community.

Get Instant Access To This Article Get Access To This Article
RotoWire Community
Join Our Subscriber-Only MLB Chat
Chat with our writers and other RotoWire MLB fans for all the pre-game info and in-game banter.
Join The Discussion
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Brad Johnson
For more than 30 years, pitching guru Brad "Bogfella" Johnson has provided insightful evaluation and analysis of pitchers to a wide variety of fantasy baseball websites, webcasts and radio broadcasts. He joined RotoWire in 2011 with his popular Bogfella's Notebook.
MLB Bets and Expert Picks for Wednesday, April 24
MLB Bets and Expert Picks for Wednesday, April 24
MLB Points Leagues: Using wOBA to Identify Hitters
MLB Points Leagues: Using wOBA to Identify Hitters
New York Mets-San Francisco Giants, MLB Picks: Single-Game Focus, April 24
New York Mets-San Francisco Giants, MLB Picks: Single-Game Focus, April 24
DraftKings MLB: Wednesday Breakdown
DraftKings MLB: Wednesday Breakdown